Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do? >

What do you do?

What do you do?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:23 AM

I haven't read all the reponses, but I will offer my two cents.
I think I would choose to complete the smallest/fastest project first so I could chalk it up as complete, and then maybe it would inspire me to keep going. OR, I would choose the project for the youngest child, as he/she would be the most disappointed if his/her item didn't get made.
Lucky for me, I don't have your list of projects!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:39 AM

I would have to be methodical and remove everything except the one project I'm working on. After that......it's a mind set! LOL
Old 10-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Cyn

I do that all the time! Finally I sit down and make myself finish one and then I usually treat myself to a couple more new projects to take its place- Quess that's not helpful. Sorry!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:41 AM

Well right now I am just forcing myself to finish things before starting something new. I have told myself that I need to finish this before going on to that. Then in the middle of all this working out for me my family brings me something that needs to be mended or taken in. Oh. well. I love them and will get this done somehow.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:55 AM

One step at a time when the projects seem to be as big as a mountain. Focus on one project. Yep, that is easier said then doing but try try try. Been there too!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 AM

A few years back I had so many projects on the go that I decided I would finish them all before I started another. I finished them one by one but had lost all of the joy of quilting/cross stitching etc. I took me three years to even have the vision to start another one. I am back into it now finally and can't wait to add another to my list but I still feel that compulsion to finish what I start..that said, I'm going to cut out that table topper right now before I get too serious about it all. If it's just sitting there not started, it's just another pile of fabric and not a project.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 AM

I love all the responses on this board - everyone seems to have been in your shoes at one time or another! I am one of those people who cannot work on more than one project at a time. And when I am done with that project, I vacuum and straighten up my sewing room before I start the next one! Then I am totally energized to start the next project. I guess I can't work in chaos!!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
I look forward to the responses to this. It is a "quilting skill" I continuously strive to master.

I've put all projects (fabric, pattern, & recipient's name) into project envelopes and labeled them; then, on my dry-erase board, I have a list of the projects in the order I want to do them.

That does help. But not entirely. I can start feeling a real Pressure and I lose my sense of priority.
I like your idea, only I don't use a board, I just place the paper packages in a drawer with date, put there and do the oldest date first. Works for me.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 AM

YES, IT DOES HAPPEN TO ME, not just in the quilting area, but all areas! Except for eating :)
Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
try numbering all the projects you have, put numbers on pieces of paper in a jar and if you really can't decide what to do, pull out a number and just do that one until it's finished...
I like this idea. I used to do it at work. Also, if you can take the project that's the furthest along and has the least amount to do and then the next one, you can sort of ease into the rest.