Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do NOT iron until the quilt top is DONE! >

Do NOT iron until the quilt top is DONE!

Do NOT iron until the quilt top is DONE!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 AM

I took a class on y seams and our teacher told us not to press this type of block until completely finished. I like to press as I go but on this project I pressed one block as I sewed it and then didn't press until the second block was finish. It made a tremendous difference by not pressing.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 AM

Cherylynne, That is the cutest little boy in you avatar.
adorable
Old 10-28-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Did I get your attention?

I recently took a class with Kaye England and it was kind of a real eye opener. She made us all try creating a block her way just to see how it turned out. Here were her rules:

Iron your fabric first
Then you don't touch the iron again until the block is done. In the real world application it was until the quilt top was done.

While piecing it together you would sew the dark toward the dar without pressing. Her philosophy was, if you measure it right, cut it right, and sew an exact 1/4 right. Then the block will turn out right.

Well I will say this...I'm an ironer....I like to press it all so it like cardboard going through the machine. But when I did it her way I was astonished at how well the blocked turned out. Points were lined up GREAT and another thing....NO PINS!

I wondered if anyone else quilts like this all the time? After such a successful first try, I think I will continue this way, it actually saves a lot of time running back and forth to the iron.

So I would say if you think you might like to do it, TRY a block. I was kinda amazed, did I mention that I'm kinda in love with Kaye England now? :-D

I never press a block until it is finished with one exception. If it is a rounded pattern, like drunkards path for instance, I do press each circle before putting the little blocks together to make a larger block. I usually make 8 then press all at once, then sew together and press again. The curves always all look the same.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 AM

Love to sew this way. My friends think I'm nuts, but all my seams line up perfectly.... Go Kaye England!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 AM

I just done some blocks without my iron. And they turned out nice. I just kind of pressed the seam down with my finger-nail. And it stayed and they all look nice. WOW what a difference.

And I have my ironing board right next to my machine. Just lowered enough to turn and use it. I use an office chair for my sewing chair. Just turn and press. lol No more getting up and going across the room for me...
Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 AM

I just ironed my mostly finished quilt - then measured it to put on the last sashing & guess what? It was 2 inches longer than the pattern called for. I measured my kona cotton before & after I pressed it & it gained about 1.5 inches. Wish I'd read this post before I started. I wonder if washing the quilt will result in a lot of shrinkage now?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 AM

I have been quilting for 51 years. The no Iron until the block is done is how I was brought up. As a matter of fact I was given only one pin for my sewing that is right one (1) pin. The pin works like a stiletto and a pin until the fabric has gone through the machine. The best thing is the amount of time that I save over those that press every seam.
I took a class at one of the local quilt shops and I spent a lot of time waiting for the pressing so we could go on to the next step. My blocks turned out next to perfect no ripping needed.
Cut accurately, sew accurately, and check the seam placement before sewing. Try it I thing you will like it.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
. Her philosophy was, if you measure it right, cut it right, and sew an exact 1/4 right. Then the block will turn out right :-D
Rules me out then!
Old 10-28-2010, 12:01 PM

I never iron until the whole quilt is done because I'm lazy. Glad to know there's a legitimate reason for not ironing. ;-)
Old 10-28-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I used to iron just when the block was done and they were ready to put together to make the full quilt top. Then I started ironing more often. Now iron less again.

But I actually rarely pin anything! Unless the seam line-up tends to give me a LOT of trouble being even. I figure if I've cut it right and hold my fingers on the seams to be sewn and hold my head at the right angle.... lol
You forgot to keep your tongue in the right position. It depends on what your making, if you need to press after each seam I think. Different teachers different ideas. All a good learning experience.