Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do? >

What do you do?

What do you do?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
I would have to be methodical and remove everything except the one project I'm working on. After that......it's a mind set! LOL
Sheree, that works well for me. BTW I adore your avatar quilt!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Just think about getting one thing done at a time and start with the easiest/quickest one. That way you will feel like you are accomplishing things and it wont feel so daunting.

This happens to me all the time! My husband, the UFO police, keeps me in check as well. ;)
Old 10-28-2010, 09:45 AM

Once again, I'll mention Flylady.com. She's insisted for many years that you do chores for 15 minutes at a time and NO LONGER. When the alarm rings, STOP and go on to something else for 15 minutes, then when that is over, you can go back to whatever you want. For another 15 minutes.

This works for me when I have a lot of work staring me in the face and I know darn well that I can't do all of it or even half of it in one day. But 15 minutes at a time does do it. This works so well that in the last couple of years lots of magazines have started claiming this as their own, since it does work.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I am strange, I would do the project with the most to do or the hardest project first. Then I can lood forward to the easy ones. Promise yourself a treat a some kind when you finish each one. Something simple but a reward.
I am with Sadiemae on this one. If you get the hardest done first the rest will be a piece of cake for you.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 AM

I agree with everyone, don't do all at once. When I'm overwhelmed,it's usually because of the clutter around my sewing machine. Once cleared, I decide which project is priority. I tried not to have more than 2, but hey, I'm a quilter, so you know there is more. So, I work them in turn, so much time for each project, sewing only a specific time each day. Writing your projects done as in a schedule, sounds like a good idea to me. Gonna try it.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Im in the same boat. I have one that I really dont like but am in the middle of. One that is a king and I dedicated so much time to and it isnt near being done. One that need ONE STINKING SEAM and to be squared.

What am I doing? reorganizing my sewing room and the closet.

There has to be 20 projects in there. I need to do them not organize them.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:41 PM

Just take it one at a time. I sometimes have way to many things that need done. I list them in order they need to be done. Then just work away.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:19 PM

I tell myself I can't buy anymore fabric until I finish something! That keeps me from designing and dreaming about more quilts until something is finished. Except for the quilts I see here of course.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:18 PM

First of all, do not beat yourself up about it. Hey, writers get the "writer"s block"... I think that each and every person who has projects to do will at one time or another hit that situation.
I am there right now....So what I will do is to start on the item that will get done with the lest amount of time and effort. Reason is that once it is finished I will feel like I actually did get some thing done (which I did) and it is a shot in the arm (so to speak) and I get jazzed up and eagar to start another. Take the next simplest to do and so on and so on. Start small and work your way to that final, big one!
Good luck.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 PM

Just pick one of the many projects up and work work work! Before you know it you will be done and can work on another.

Kyia