Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Met the quilt police >

Met the quilt police

Met the quilt police

Old 10-28-2010, 04:49 PM

I've heard the same - "What you are going to use it??? but its too pretty to use!" why make it if you're not going to use it?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by nana pat
Originally Posted by grammiepamie
I wonder if that person covers her quilts so they don't get drool on them. You know when you are sleeping and drooling???????? LOL LOL. Pass the ketchup please!!!!!!!!!!
didnt I read here a long time ago, about the extra piece of fabric sewn on the top of quilts, so drool didnt get on the quilts? I thought that was funny also. How about getting beautiful carpet, then covering large sections of it with a second carpet to protect the first?
I think that was a beard cloth? I've seen some on antique quilts. One of my grammas had the plastic covered furniture. EEEEWWWW :roll:
I've had other quilters be quite appalled that the backs of my quilts don't match the front. Oftentimes its what I have in my stash that is big enough; sometimes there's 2-3
fabrics on the back. :-D
Old 10-28-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I make chenille baby bibs, and I hear all of the time "they are too pretty to get dirty"...

they are bibs!

My Mother always gave baby quilts away and she would get so mad when the Mother wouldn't use them because the baby might get it dirty. All of the quilts she made for my daughter were used and still are being used :)

Remember the couches that had vinyl covering in the 70's an 80's??? soooooo funny...

to each their own I guess??

I vote for using them :)
I gave a baby quilt to the mother of one of my dd's friends
and she said that she would put it away. :roll:
I said but your son is supposed to use it! Its washable and dryable. <sigh> I put a poem on the back that in effect its okay to let all the things that babies do to their quilts happen as you can wash it and do it all over again.
Geeze why do they think we make quilts for babies??
Old 10-28-2010, 05:04 PM

I think tacky is the right word.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Victoria L
I agree. We had a neighbor that had plastic on her furniture and it was horrible!
I recall sitting on Gramma's sofa(aka: davenport) in my dress and getting sweaty and stuck when I tried to get up. I was just a little girl then. :roll: I always wondered where that word for a couch came from?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:11 PM

wow that one is new to me , i never thought of covering a tabletopper and cant imagine how to go about doing it!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Oh, I just want to cry. I made a quilted table cover for my kitchen.Every other block has a country applique,such as a chicken,watermelon,or sunflower,etc. It is made of homespun,very bright. I just love it on my table. I never used to cover it. My husband started collecting cats. These are the dirtiest cats I have ever known. We live in the woods. We have no grass,just woods and clay (mud) and sand. Now don't get me wrong I love cats,but last I counted them there were 20. They go in and out when they please and they go anywhere they please because my husband has spoiled them rotten. My daughter is a glazier so she made a glass top for me to keep the peace in the family. I would love to be spilling ketchup and mustard on it. Every one is so busy I don't remember the last time anyone visited or had dinner, You better believe it if they come the glass will come off for dinner!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:18 PM

Yuck a quilt is to be loved to pieces (no pun intended!) whethere it is a queen or a table topper. I believe in using all quilts even heirlooms. But I may be a bit radical at times. I put my best into them and give them away. What the recipient does to it is their business as with any gift. Keep using it for its intended purpose!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy11442
Originally Posted by Mattee
So, there I was, taking a class. I had almost completed my table topper, when a classmate asked me how I was going to cover it. "What do you mean, cover it?" I asked.

Her: "You know, so it won't get food on it."

"But it's a table topper. It's going to get food on it," I responded.

Her: "Exactly. You need to cover it in vinyl or a laminate to protect it.

Me: "No, I want it antiqued."

I was actually shocked. I must admit that the thought never crossed my mind to cover the table topper. I figured that in 80 years (I'm being optimistic), when I'm dead and gone, and my descendants are using the aforementioned table-topper (again, my optimism), it will be like an archaeology exercise. There will be evidence of past meals that can be sifted through. "Look, Great-grandma Mattee must have LOVED ketchup!"

Anyway, I won't cover it. I understand completely why some people would. What I don't understand is that this woman seemed truly appalled that I choose not to. I mean really, it is MY project, right?

Anyone else have experience with classmates being appalled at your quilting behavior?
Yes, I've experienced the quilt police also. Not with a classmate but with another quilter in our guild. She must pass judgement on ALL projects for show n tell. A relatively new quilter, older lady like myself, began showing her projects and we were thrilled cause she has a difficult time seeing but her projects are wonderful. The quilt police began criticizing her stitching, stabilizer, etc. I wanted to get out a sharp object. This lady handled it beautifully. She had more than one project and when #2 came out and the quilt police grabbed it, Lady said, "Don't touch it!! I'm not asking for advice". End of story for that session. She continues to do this to everyone and a lot of people won't show n tell cause they won't take the criticism. Too bad....so sad.
Why don't they tell her to shush then? sigh.

It's the German battleaxe in me. Then again, if your friends with me, I tell you, be free to use the two by four, it's sometimes the only way to get my attn.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by nab
Well, maybe she has some OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disease). We have one of those here at work and she drives us all crazy. We have learned to ignore most of it, but I cannot resist sometimes to do something that I know will drive her up the wall. Example: Everything has to be filed just exactly where she wants it. So guess what? I don't. Was this her first project that she finished? Was she that proud of it?
I have table toppers too and once they are on the table, they are fair game for live. Use them, make memories and lol.
OCD people can't help that hun. I know it drives you up the wall, and I have a hubby that has it, but please that's kinda cruel to them. I also have an autistic kid with OCD as well.

Sure if she asks you to do it, to help fight the OCD, but the amount of order she puts in her world is to stave off the chaos. It keeps her from going nuts. It's a coping mechanism.

Is she seeing any help?