Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do? >

What do you do?

What do you do?

Old 10-28-2010, 04:43 PM

I am with all of you. It does no good to fret or worry so I put every project in a bag or tray or whatever works and put them in the closet. I take out one at a time and finish it to competion. Take a small reward (usually rocky road ice cream) and start laying out the next project to start the next day. It seems to work for me and a messy, cluttered room does not. It just makes me nervous....Happy Halloween!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:17 PM

I would tackle this exactly the same way I would tackle getting out of debt.. It's a little different because you don't have anything to carry to the 'next' thing on the list like you would when you pay off that first debt.

Here is what I do.. I go down and put them in order of how much needs done with each project.. the least to do on one end of the line, the most to do on the other..

Then pick up the project that is closest to being done, and finish that. Completely.

Since you've already put them in order, you will already know which one you're going to work on next.. So pick it up and finish that one, completely.

After you get the first couple done, you'll be on a roll.. It works every time!! Let us know how long it took you to work your way though your 'to do' projects!!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:17 PM

i have done that and i just take a break till i am ready to dive in , otherwise if i make myself do it i will screw things up and then really get flustered
Old 10-28-2010, 05:28 PM

I try only doing 1 project at a time. I have only been quilting less than a year, got a lot to learn. Afraid if I get to many things going I'll get something messed up.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:31 PM

When I have a to-do list (sewing or other) I always do the easiest ones first. Kinda gives the feeling of quick accomplishment and if the longer tasks take too long, I have gotten a few things done anyhow. Not sure if this is the correct way to prioritize, but it works for me...sometimes. :D
Old 10-28-2010, 05:33 PM

Someone very wise said on here once that there are all kinds of finished. So what I do is pick a level of finished to achieve for the time I allot myself and make that my goal. IE: Today I will work on baby quilt 1 for 30 minutes. If you are in the groove at the end of the 30 min. cool, stay with it, but if you are not, pick another project for your next time slot. Keep it up till you find one that really captures your attention. And one will, believe me.
Hugs and smiles, and good luck!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:37 PM

I can relate to all of the above. The other thing that happens to me is when I go to a quilt shop and I don't have anything in particular to look for, I look at all the fabric there and I feel so overwhelmed that I cannot really "see" the fabric. I end up walking out with NOTHING. This has happened to me several times since this summer when I first noticed this feeling. Ladies, maybe we have too much?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM

I thought it was just me, I finally decided the ironing was what was the stumble and have decided to just get to it and do it. Idenitifing the problem helps. As soon as I get offline, I will press the seams so I can add the sashing. LOL
Old 10-28-2010, 05:44 PM

I put all mine in containers and put them in my closet.when I get one done I bring another one out.that way I can't
see them.Works for me.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by sewTinker
I look forward to the responses to this. It is a "quilting skill" I continuously strive to master.

I've put all projects (fabric, pattern, & recipient's name) into project envelopes and labeled them; then, on my dry-erase board, I have a list of the projects in the order I want to do them.

That does help. But not entirely. I can start feeling a real Pressure and I lose my sense of priority.
I have done all the same things you've done. But it helps very little. Each day I go into my quilting room and look at that list and become overwhelmed all over again. And by the way, this list began long before the addition of Christmas gifts. I don't know how to cope with it. Sometimes I just take a baby step or two. Then, just today my DDIL sent me a picture of a pattern she'd like me to make her as her birthday present. Her birthday is Nov. 11th. Oh Lord !!! I need divine help!