Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Met the quilt police >

Met the quilt police

Met the quilt police

Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 PM

Quilts and quilted things are to be USED, for goodness' sake. Can you just hear a dear little pioneer lady telling her family not to use the quilt she just made, because they might get it dirty? Sheez... the woman who told you that would probably also cover her livingroom furniture with clear plastic for the same reason. It takes all types. Enjoy your table topper!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by lucyb
Oh, I just want to cry. I made a quilted table cover for my kitchen.Every other block has a country applique,such as a chicken,watermelon,or sunflower,etc. It is made of homespun,very bright. I just love it on my table. I never used to cover it. My husband started collecting cats. These are the dirtiest cats I have ever known. We live in the woods. We have no grass,just woods and clay (mud) and sand. Now don't get me wrong I love cats,but last I counted them there were 20. They go in and out when they please and they go anywhere they please because my husband has spoiled them rotten. My daughter is a glazier so she made a glass top for me to keep the peace in the family. I would love to be spilling ketchup and mustard on it. Every one is so busy I don't remember the last time anyone visited or had dinner, You better believe it if they come the glass will come off for dinner!
I taught my cats not to get on tables with a squirt gun. I would sit across the room and wait for them to jump up, and nail the little bugger with the water. They figure out real quick that 'the table splashes water on me when I jump up there'. Works like a charm, just don't forget to wipe up any water that hits the floor, so no falls!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:32 AM

If she doesn't want to get it dirty, take it off the table when she eats or use place mats. I have a scarecrow table topper on my kitchen table right now, and when I eat at the table, I use a place mat. :roll:
Old 10-30-2010, 06:59 AM

Never heard of having to cover them before. Made me want to laugh. Its there to be used as well as admired. I wonder if she has covers on her wall hangings as well.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:09 AM

I want what I make to be used. If something happens to it, it's a good excuse to make another one.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 AM

Sounds to me like she is a neat freek.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 AM

I would have told her a spray from the Bottle of Fabric Scotch Guard is much softer than plastic, and pass the Mustard, Salsa and Nacho cheese, oh I forgot the chips too please.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 AM

Ohhh...no...but many years ago I had a similar experience. I made a tabletopper as a Christmaspresent for my MIL. Not quilting but cross-stitching. I spent many hours to make roses. The tabletopper never saw the daylight in her house. She covered it with an ugly piece of fabric so it won't get dirty or dusty , she explained when I asked her. Doh...I made it for using and showing, not for hiding. Never ever I gave her something I made.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:53 PM

The first table runner I made in Home Bureau is perfect for my Piano top so it should stay fresh a little while.lol.I say use it and let the world know you did it.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:04 PM

This is why I love this forum of ladies and gentlemen that quilt and know how to use a quilt of any kind. When I made a quilt for each of my nephews and niece, I included on the label that implied I wanted those quilts to be used, for heaven sake! My sister says her grandsons have theirs out to lay on, play on, etc. Makes me happy, happy, happy. I draw the line though on letting doggies and cats use them for their beds. :(