Quilt Challenge!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:08 AM

I'm new to the board too,fairly new to quilting but have never thought much about keeping scraps because I work within a limited space, so if something wasn't close to a fat quarter I didn't keep it . After reading some of the posts, the idea of saving the scraps has sparked an interest but at the same time I almost feel a little doubtful that I can really use what I save. I quess my question is, what do you consider too small to save?
I'd like to give this a try because I love doing charity sewing and help with a group that sews for preemie babies. So if I could use my scraps for lapquilts for the nursing homes or maybe the cancer/dialysis centers, I would like doing that. Chris
Old 10-30-2010, 10:52 AM

I don't save anything smaller then 1". Scraps from projects I try to cut into sq's or strips. The smallest strips 1" or wider. I bought small plastic containers for different size sq's and triangles and shoe boxes for different size strips. Odd ball pieces I keep for paper piecing.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:06 AM

I have a shallow clear tote that is quite large--I cut strips, iron if needed, then roll the same widths together---I keep adding strips to the roll as I have them.
Other larger scraps are sorted by color and stacked in totes. If I cut squares, then I want a different size!
To make a QUICK strip quilt, I sew the same widths together in a long piece, then start sewing them together--usually alternate wide and narrow. this made a very pretty grab n sew quilt--will try to get a picture of the King size soon as it is quilted.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Thank you both for posting. I think this will give me the start I needed.
Its so cool to have a forum like this! Chris
Old 10-30-2010, 02:09 PM

A qilting shop in Lansing, MI has a charity project in the spring. We make and donate over 400 quilted placemats for the Meals on Wheels program. The recipients love them and we have a good excuse to sew. I do them to try out new patterns and ideas.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:00 PM

One more quick tip--Velveeta cheese boxes are great for small squares! It is amazing how many they hold...I use old lunch boxes for larger ones...
Old 10-30-2010, 04:47 PM

Hi! That's too funny. I've got a big box of Velveeta in the refrig right now. Will get the box before someone throws it away! Chris
Old 10-30-2010, 05:47 PM

Patrice,

I have been trying to make a quilt top for a yr and a half..I have been ripping out the squares for at least 15 months. Is there something that can be bought to help the corners meet correctly. I have pinned before sewing, used a tracing pencil and have drawn lines on the material. When I think I have it right I sew only to look at it and the corners are not meeting. Any suggestions that I might try,

Thank you
Okiegal29
Old 10-30-2010, 06:27 PM

Okie gal--how big are your squares? I get good corners without a pin in sight, but technique is easy---will explain tomorrow when I have more time. Also, you can glue them with Elmers School glue, then wash it when done....
Maybe a strip quilt would be easier for you to start with---
Old 11-02-2010, 12:58 PM

HELP>>>>>I need information/advice concerning quilt batting made by Kazbar. It's 100% polyester and has a weight of 4.4 oz. I thought the quilters on this site would be sure to know. Please fill me in! THANKS! P. Frederick [email protected]