Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grrrr...pinked jelly rolls >

Grrrr...pinked jelly rolls

Grrrr...pinked jelly rolls

Old 10-31-2010, 03:34 AM

I happen to like the fact that they are pinked. If I worried about my machines getting fuzz in them I would never be sewing. Look at what happens when you sew with flannel, or fleece. Fuzz everywhere. I get my machines cleaned and serviced at least once a year and defuzz them regularly, so the pinking fuzz is not a problem for me. Let's face it, sewing is a very "fuzzy" hobby.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:05 AM

You get as much fuzz (or more) when sewing with velvet as well...Just be sure to 'defuzz' every time you change your bobbin and all should be well.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:17 AM

I haven't used jelly rolls, nor will I buy them.Just don't see the need.I cut strips to whatever size, then keep them together by size. Easy to find them that way. JMO

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
Originally Posted by BevD
I bought a Jelly Roll pattern book last year at our quilting show. Great book have already made two quilts and one top out of it, no problem...
My bad move lately was buying three jelly rolls on the internet and not realising - wasn't in pics - that the edges were pinked!!
My poor machine is so clogged I swear I will never again buy the pinked, I will ALWAYS email and ask if they are straight cut.
Bad enough the bits everywhere when you open the jelly roll, the bits on the ironing board when pressing seams but my poor machine had to suffer too..

Sorry about that, just had to stop CLEANING and have a gripe.
Not only that, but have you noticed that these rolls and the bali pops are not always true cut to 2 1/2 inches. sometimes as much as 3/16 to 1/4 inch off. That can be a disaster in a quilt of any size. Have pattern that requires 2 1/2 in strips and 1 1/4 inch strips. Pretty difficult to make these work. On another pattern had to trim each strip down to 2 1/4 in and rework the whole pattern as a result. Think they should be cut wider if they can not cut them true to 2 1/2 in. Won't be buying them again.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:34 AM

I have used a couple of moda jelly rolls and like the fact that they are pinked. Less long threads breaking away, which is more of a problem for me. I've not used other brands yet, but find the Modas cut consistently and have no trouble with them. (Less trouble than I have with the solid strips I cut out to go with them.)

With my Juki, constant cleaning and oiling is a must, so i don't really see much difference. I have way more fuzz issues with the fusible fleece I use in my handbags.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:26 AM

i am all ready--backpack+bumbag for the purse--soo looking forward to the adelaide show--the guilds having a special night to present the prizes thur 7pm burnside bev
Old 10-31-2010, 07:28 AM

And here I thought pinked edges would've been better!!! thanks for posting -- I'll watch out for it, too!!!
Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I think getting a correct 1/4" seam can be confusing on some of the precuts, depending on the brand and the size of the pinking.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 AM

Would spray starch work to "seal the pinked edges?" I never even thought about the fuzz, and I just bought 2 bags of moda scraps and a jelly roll last night. How about thinning down some elmers glue with water and just brushing it on the pinked edges. It will come out in the washer. Just a few thoughts that I will try on samples to see if it will work. katie
Old 10-31-2010, 08:56 AM

Would it help if you ran a lint roller over the edges prior to sewing?
Old 10-31-2010, 09:14 AM

I love the Moda jelly rolls and charm packs and don't mind the pinked edges to much. It seems like it helps keep the edges from fraying. I bought charm packs from Connecting thread (and LOVED them) but the edges did fray quite a bit. The charm packs had all straight cut edges from CT.