Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome or Bernina >

Janome or Bernina

Janome or Bernina

Old 07-26-2010, 06:12 AM

I forgot to mention that it has 5 led lights . one is right in the middle this will help the old eyes like mine.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by rosalyne
Hi I just bought a Janome 7700 it has a 11 x 4.7 space for our quilts. It also has a built in walking foot. It also has a 7 pc feed system, and an extra high presser foot lifter , auto thread cutter and auto threader and a knee lifter. Go to Janome .comThis macine cost 2,999 but they take trade ins I won't need another machine after this, it has it all! Roz
A friend bought one a month ago and loves it. So glad you're enjoying it too. I was always a Janome diehard lover until I did stippling on a Bernina. I'll never get rid of my Janome MC 9000, but now have a Bernina 180E to do stippling and embroidery with. :D
Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 PM

You could get the Bernina walking foot. It behaves like the IDF on Pfaff. The BSR works wonders for FMQ and keeps tension even. I have an Activa 240 that does FMQ like a dream, however.

Bernina machines are sturdy--minimal plastic, BUT the feet
costs are high, unless you shop used.

I don't know alot about Janome, but hear their TOL Quilter's edition is a great machine.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM

I love the 640 Artista for embroidery and embellishing.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
RST

I adore my Bernina 440. I looked at Janome, but the Swiss engineering won me over.

I personally dislike the acufeed type of features. They feel clunky to me, and I really have no problem with getting excellent piecing with the Bernina.

RST
Old 08-10-2010, 04:02 AM

Hi the word is Bernina has been sold and Janome is now making the Berninas. Thats what I found out from my sewing machine sales owner. Interesting!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:24 AM

I have two berninas and a Janome jem Gold. I use the J for classes as it is only 12 lbs. I can't lift things that weigh over 15 lbs. I love the berninas for their long life and that they are workhorses.

I would recommend a bernina. The cost is big, but in the longrun it is worth it. I love the janome for the classes. It is plastic in places the berninas are metal. I am calling my bernina dealer where I got ine and asking about the bernina sale and if Janome bought them out.

My dealer also sells the berninas they take as in trade-ins. They service them and make them perfect and then sell them. Look for one of those. I love my old bernina so much I could not donate it like I planned. Good luck katie
Old 10-31-2010, 11:28 AM

My vote is for the Janome. They are built with mostly metal and make wonderful stitches. The accessories are much cheaper than Bernina and you can purchase third party specialty feet for them.

My best friend has a Bernina (not sure of the model) that I sew on when I am at her house. I am not impressed. The straight stitch is fine but think it makes the sorriest satin stitch. No amount of tweaking has ever made it come out to my satisfaction. She just told me yesterday that she will be selling it soon. (She uses a Viking Diamond for her primary machine.)
Old 10-31-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jemma
pfaff--pfaff all the way idt intagrated dual feed works++++++ janome has similar but i have never used one--threader +luxury thread ctter would be great
I have an old Pfaff with the IDT and I just love it for piecing quilt blocks, they all come out right!! I love my Berninas too, but they lack the IDT.
If you are considering a Bernina with the BSR, take a small quilt sandwich with your thread and try it first. I didn't like it.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:38 AM

[quote=Bluphrog]
Originally Posted by The accu-feed is the feed dog system. It assists in accurate piecing. Walking foot is a separate thing.[/quote

Thanks for the info.
The accufeed system on the Janome 6600 is built in and is the walking foot. There is no separate walking foot for the 6600 or the new Horizon 7700.