Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Tools, Tips & Opinions >

Quilt Tools, Tips & Opinions

Quilt Tools, Tips & Opinions

Old 10-31-2010, 07:40 AM

About Machines:
This tip is good if your thinking of investing in another machine. I personally have a Denim Pro & Audry for small machines I use for piecing. I have Ellegante II, embroidery machine usually humming along beside me, but it's my only machine that drops feed dogs, so I quilt on it too. All 3 are Baby Lock. Research, ask others personally don't rely on company printed statements from "customers". I did this, and found many who had Pfaff, Bernina & Baby Lock, said the BL was more user friendly. Then I did a consumer report, to find that BL I got more feet & hoops for about $5000 less than the other two brands with comparable same machines. Now I've never heard of "Juke" until this class, and this is what the Natl. Teacher said, which makes sense, I've been to classes watching other sm. machine vibrate/bounce so much it shakes the whole table for other quilters working too.

""Juke" is a work horse of a tiny machine, low cost, make sure feed dogs can drop, or if your using your Juke only for domestic machine quilting, have the feed dogs disengaged. Most small machines are not heavy enough, and they bounce, and often we complain about the tables in classes or our guild location. But a heavier machine will not bounce on any table." from Sharon Shambers class
Old 10-31-2010, 07:42 AM

I have a Husqvarna rotary cutter that I bought probably 15 years ago when I went to one of their classes with my sister who has 2 or 3 of their "whiz-bang" sewing/embroidery sewing machines. I just started using it and find that I like it as well as my Olfa cutters. It has a lock on it, but the blade retracts when not in use and it opens when you press down to start your cutting. I also found that it has 2 settings..1 for light cutting and 1 for heavy cutting. I have never seen another Husqvarna cutter, so don't know if they still make them or not.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:54 AM

Patsy; Think you have a treasure there, I've tried searching and can't find where they sell them any more.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:25 PM

That's kind of what I thought! I think my sister also bought one..I should talk her out of it! She is heavy into her embroidery machine but doesn't quilt so her arm might be twisted. By the way, she had an old Viking 120 that she bought at Goodwill for $15.00 and she gave it to me! It is what I take to my quilting classes. She's a keeper for sure.

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
Patsy; Think you have a treasure there, I've tried searching and can't find where they sell them any more.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I want that True Cut ruler. I'm just waiting on a good deal.
Nancys Notions has a discount in their catalogue, and free shipping right now. I checked around and it was the best price, even less than from the mfgr. I waited for mine from April until September, but got an apology from Nancys and a certificate for $10 to be used on anything before 12/31. Just trying to figure out what.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:31 PM

This is true. I also checked this out on Snopes.

VERY IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ THIS.

Anyone using Internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on: This information arrived this morning, direct from both Microsoft and Norton . Please send it to everybody you know who has Access to the Internet.
You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled Here you have it or Just for you. If you open either file, a message will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful...."

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC, and the person who originated it will gain access to your Name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and so far no anti virus software is capable of destroying it. The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES.
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/hereyouhave.asp
Old 10-31-2010, 05:02 PM

I just looked at a few sites and also snopes and it says it is a hoax! There's a big red dot beside HOAX. I typed in life owner and a lot of different sites popped up.

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
This is true. I also checked this out on Snopes.

VERY IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ THIS.

Anyone using Internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on: This information arrived this morning, direct from both Microsoft and Norton . Please send it to everybody you know who has Access to the Internet.
You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled Here you have it or Just for you. If you open either file, a message will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful...."

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC, and the person who originated it will gain access to your Name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and so far no anti virus software is capable of destroying it. The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES.
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/hereyouhave.asp
Old 10-31-2010, 06:48 PM

I the rotary cutter that has a shape blade. I have all 3 sizes of Olfa and use the 45mm most. I also have I think it fiskers (gray and orange with ego handle). I use that a lot too.
You are not suppose to use your mat to measure your strip is they need to be acurate. I cut out a king size quilt using my mat to measure and it was a mess. If you need to cut a strip large than you 24" ruler, place your cut edge on the right (for righties) and then use your square up on the cut edge to measure the width of your strip. Put your 24" against the square-up and move square up away enough to cut the strip.
I have a shape cutter and would love it more if it went to 12 1/2". I know there is a bigger one but I don't own it. Elenor Burns (I think it is hers, she uses it) has one that only cuts 2 1/2" strips I would love to have one of those.

Before you buy a mat, think about what color you cut most and don't buy a mat that color. I have a blue mat that I never use because most of my fabric is blue and it make it hard to see the edge of your fabric. In my studio I have the big mat (36X60")from JoAnns that goes on craft table they sell. I bought a hollow core door and 4 adjustable legs from Ikea to make a cutting talbe. I added molding around the edge (sticking up just enough to hold mat in place). I bought a piece of hard wood that was 8" X36" and had a friend of mine router groves the length for all my rulers (or at least most). This is a one end the mat comes next and I still have a small area at the end without any mat that I can stack whatever.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

I love my Olfa rotary cutter, as I can cut with either hand. Omni-Grid and Omni-Grip rulers too.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 PM

Patsy, sorry, when I clicked the link in this message, it comes up a green dot & truth??? That's why I posted it, as help warning people, not to be a haux. Sorry, I'm still confused...how I get a green dot, you get a red dot?

Susan49, thank you for the idea of the table. I have the fold down table from JoAnns, which I like just fine. What you talk about must be larger, I think I'd love the space to the side especially.
Then I use a simple acrylic desk file holder for my rotaries, 3-4 per file slot. I've seen the ones with the grooves you buy, which I'm assuming is what you had made, they look nice. Also the ones that mount on the wall, cutting mat can slide behind, threads on pegs to one side, slots to the other for rulers...this looks nice for the smaller rulers but larger ones I'm sure would be too big, except maybe instead of mats behind it, the larger rulers, dah...
But I very much like the idea of a larger table "space" I'll have to hit hubby up for this idea. Then I could get the iron cover for the JoAnns table to iron the 'big' yds of fabric or final pressing of finished larger quilts.
I'm having my father who does wood projects build the square iron board that fits over regular iron boards, bought that pattern through Nancy's Notions. Hate that point on the iron board for ironing even pre-washed fabrics.
But then it does come in handy for clothing..still iron some things. I really need to reorganize my sewing room to be more efficient, something I guess develops over time and "adding" gadgets and stash.
Again thank you, and sorry to Patsy> still confusing to me.