Which dog to get

Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Threadedneedle
Please look into a shelter dog, there are so many that need good homes and larger black dogs are often not adopted. Please, please please check them out!!! :thumbup:
I agree. You only have to watch "Animal Cops" once to realize that there are soooo many rescued dogs - LOVING dogs - who need a good home after having been abandoned, abused or neglegted. We've had several rescue dogs, and they're wonderful!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:20 AM

We rescued "Gertie" (now Sophie) 7 years ago. We call her our Multi-cultural Terrier because she has eyebrows like a terrier. We were looking at her and another dog, took them out to the dog park at the rescue center and turned them loose. Sophie sat down on my foot and looked up at me like she was saying "I'm not going anywhere without you." The rescue people had to catch the other one. Needless to say, she is a very important member of our family. Good luck on finding your next family member!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:24 AM

English Springer Spaniels are WONDERFUL dogs. I had one in the past who lived to be 15 yo. She let every kid in the neighborhood use her as a pillow for napping and drinking bottles. Everyone cried when she passed. They are affecionate and kind.
Right now I have two Airedales which I think, if you have "aches and pains" you may not want a dog with a lot of energy and requiring exercise, but they do become real members of the family. You would need to specify that you want a smaller one of the breed. I have one that is almost 90 lbs. They do come in around 50 lbs also.
In either case, I would contact the rescue association for the particular breed you want.
You can google just about any breed on the Internet and find out about their sizes and personalities so that you get one that is suited for you and your lifestyle before contacting the rescue associations.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 AM

check with Ceasar(?sp) Milan,s website and dogs 101 on tv. These programs are wonderful gauides. Even if you choose a dog from a shelter. Be careful of the dominant breed in the dog. I have been watching Dogs 101 and "The Dog Whisperer on t.v. The advice from both is excellent.
ceegee
Old 11-01-2010, 07:21 AM

we have been without a dog (one year) for the first time in 34 years didn't want a puppy and not fussy about the breed so we went to our local humane society over the weekend and found a 9 year old heinz 57 dog, housebroke and leash trained. perfect for 2 old people (i-58 dh is 56)both feel like 90 though. cost $30 cause society place is overloaded with animals and we were told most of the humane societys are right now. please check there before you buy somewhere else you never know what you will find am sure glad we did. signed freckles new mom
Old 11-01-2010, 07:27 AM

Have you thought about a retired racing greyhound? There are groups in a number of places or you can go to Greyhound Pets of America to find a rescue group near you. They aren't active dogs. Just need to walk or have a yard to run in. The rest of the time they are couch potatoes. They are very sweet and loving dogs, very people friendly and just need a forever home after being raised in a kennel. I prefer the senior dogs because they are harder to place. People don't seem to want a dog over two.

I would never get another dog from a pet store. There are too many dogs in shelters to buy one from a pet store. We got a Siberian Husky that must have been from a puppy mill and he was very food aggressive. We never could get him over it.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Im a big fan of Engish Bulldogs!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:32 AM

Do you have a yard for them to run around in?I am very partial to great danes,although too big for what you want,but big couch potatoes for sure
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-117189.jpe
Views:	97
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	117194  
Old 11-01-2010, 07:34 AM

Good Morning! We had to put to sleep our little ~girl) this past July(20th) ans we had her from 5 week sold. She was a Walmart parking lot puppy. She was a blue heeler/border collie. She was VERY high spirited, she neede a herd of cattle or sheep:) She helped me lose 80 lbs! My hubby and I waiting for another pup to come into our lives. Good luke with your `baby` search! Sorry so long here! Habe a great day!rosie
Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 AM

I love love love your photo of your `baby` ! rosie