Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Improving "eyesight" >

Improving "eyesight"

Improving "eyesight"

Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 PM

I am nearsited also and I too tend to take my glasses off when I am sewing. Thank goodness though I don't have headaches but my eyes get very tired.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Light is the key! It makes a huge difference.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:11 PM

For really close work, I have some clip - on magnifiers that the optometrist ordered in for me. I put them over my spectacles and it enlarges everything very well. I have had my eyes switch from being myopic as a child, to the opposite and swinging back and forth - has to do with muscles I believe - however, the attachment works very well. I recommend it as it was not very expensive - $30.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM

Wow, that sounds like a great idea. I think I will talk to my doctor about it. I wear mono vision contacts but both my distance and my close up vision are compromised by wearing the mono vision. I do wear store bought readers over my contacts but still not good enough. When I take out my contacts, I too can see great detail up close, but then it has be right up to my nose, haha. And yes, terrible headache from doing this. I also had a torn retina and was told it is like a 90% chance this will happen in my other eye.....a very common thing for near sighted folks. So....if your vision grays out or you see a million dots, go to the doctor immediately!! Do not waste any time. Had laser surgery to fix the tear. I worry that I won't be able to quilt when I get older (I'm only 54). Our eyes are so important, aren't they?

Originally Posted by quilt3311
I have a seperate pair of glasses for computer and sewing. I have the eye Dr. set the top area at the distance I am usually from the computer screen. Mine is approx. 26" from eye to screen. I have no idea what he does, but the glasses work great, for sewing I measure my comfort position and have hubby get the measurement to the needle. For me its approx 18". So the top of the glasses are set to 26" and bifocal area to 18". I just know it works, have no idea how its done.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC
Originally Posted by DJRustic
I have done mono vision for over thirty yrs. it works so well. You have to check with your Doc to see if you are able to do this. I am just now having to wear reading glasses to help me with close up hand sewing. I can sew at machine without the glasses, drive read etc. Just need to thread needle close work.
DONNA,The Rustic Quilter
Donna, how long did it take you to adjust to the monovision? I have them and i don't know if i can get use to them. I still have trouble up close.
i have mono vision contacts - they work well except cannot thread a needled with them in - throws off my depth perception or something and have to slip my reading glasses on for that. also can't do cross stitch with them otherwise they are great!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 PM

Cannot see a thing without correction. Wore contacts off and on since 1958. I had Lasic done in 1998 and loved it. I chose monovision and I loved it. After doing my right eye for distance, the Dr. let me try a contact in the left eye to simulate the close vision. I could even read very fine print. A couple of years ago I had cataract surgery on both eyes and my vison changed. And I found as I get wiser (older) I need more light too.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:53 PM

I have mono-vision contacts and wear drug store readers for sewing. when I hand stitch binding I take everything off and just sew with my nose 2" from the binding. The amazing thing here is that in the last 3 years that I've been quilting, my vision has actually improved for the first time EVER!!! I got used to my mon-vision in a week or so, but then the next spring, when I went to my kid's baseball game, I had to re-adjust! My near eye wanted to look AT the fence and my far eye wanted to look THROUGH the fence. THAT was a little weird, but I adjusted after a few games!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 PM

I sure wish I could improve my eyesight! Distance is no problem except for the astigmatism, just can't be on the computer, read, sew, quilt without different glasses...for each one! Still can't time my quilting machine, even with a magnifying glass, so my hubby has to do that. Definitely could not do the "glasses on a chain" thing, or I would have 5 pairs hanging there and I would never know which one to have on! :shock:
Old 11-01-2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by amma
When I wear my contacts, I have several pairs of reading glasses of different strengths handy. I pick them up at the drug store :wink: and they work just fine according to my eye doc :D:D:D
My vision changes slightly when I get more tired towards evening, and the pair I use for reading doesn't seem to work as well as my main pair for sewing.
I too have noticed the need for brighter light with my contacts/reading glasses vs wearing my bifocals.
Our local dollar store stocks them. If I lose or scratch them, no biggie.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
For the first time, I've been sewing with my glasses. My problem is that I'm extremely nearsighted. Since I can see my absolute best with my "natural" eyes up close, it was amazing how much easier it was to match seams, etc just by taking off the glasses. Then the glasses went back on for everything else, sewing included. The result is a nasty headache! Ugh!

I had been sewing with my contacts in and reading glasses. The power of the reading glasses is perfect for me to read, but I think I could probably use more power for sewing(?) So, I'm wondering if any of you are nearsighted contact wearers and have suggestions to improve sewing vision.

Thanks!
I wear glasses full time, but have a pair of magnifier clip-on glasses that I wear over them which help me immensely. I bought them from JoAnn's Fabrics online. Cost is up there with shipping, but well worth it since I can comfortably see to sew or rip. :-)