Which dog to get

Old 11-01-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
Well, not completely "lay around the house" but not "run around the house" either - if that makes sense. I really just want a good companion dog to walk with and to keep me company on my sleepless nights. I am familiar with petfinder. I am hoping to find a dog in a rescue group. My real question is what breed fills the wish list I have described.
Ah, SunQuilts! I have sleepless nights too, as does Hubby, and we don't have them together on the same nights. ?? Our dog, that's her in the little photo, Katy, the Pekingese or what my hubs calls, the Piggie-knees. We might be up and Katy goes back to bed and that little dog SNORES, big time. Maybe that's why we don't get much sleep, she sleeps on our bed and just snores to her heart's content. Hubs is deaf once he takes his hearing implant hookup off but he says he can feel the bed shakes a little from her snoring. Don't get a snoring Piggie-knees! (She likes people food too)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:03 PM

I have a Cocker Spaniel and she was 11 when we got her. I got her as a rescue dog through the vetinary clinic that we use. She was potty trained, spayd etc. She is the sweetest and most lovable dog. I had lost a butterscotch colored C. Spaniel and put my name on a list for another cocker.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:45 PM

I had a chow - chow too, and they are hard to replace. Border collies are nice.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:54 PM

We LOVE our English Springer Spaniel!!!!! He is so loving---had him since he was a puppy, he is 2 but he does have a lot of energy, but he is so faithful and loving!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 PM

I have West Highland Terrier and he is the most woderful dog I ever have, he is almost human.... His name is Willie..he is about 21 pounds and very good traveler too..
Old 11-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

Neutering a male dog should stop the marking and makes for a healthy life.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ForestHobbit
Rather than look for a specific breed what about visiting the shelters in your area and see if you are drawn to a particular dog who is also drawn to you? And also fits your criteria. I would encourage you to keep your options open as to which particular breed fits your needs and who bonds with you. Happy hunting. Getting a new pet is so exciting.
I agree with this statement. I went to the shelter looking for an at least 2 year old medium size male dog and came home with a 4 month old female lab size dog :-D
best choice I ever made! she spoke to me and she's the perfect match for our house. And on top of that she really needed us. it's a win=win.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
Originally Posted by Margie
I always had cocker spaniels and loved them soooo much. Then after losing my last two within three months of each other, through the fault of a kennel, I couldnt get another one. I now have a golden retreivor and love him...but that is bigger than you are looking for. Cockers are great though.
My cocker 'marked' everything his could hike his leg on. He was the BEST dog other than that but that dog marked everything in this house. I finally had to get rid of him because I got new furniture & he started in on it! I said NO WAY!
Neutering a male dog would have stopped the marking, Vet. should have told you that. How sad to get rid of a pet for something that could have been easily prevented. Should have been done at least by 6 months.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:17 PM

[quote=Jingleberry][quote=Izaquilter]
Originally Posted by Margie
I always Neutering a male dog would have stopped the marking, Vet. should have told you that. How sad to get rid of a pet for something that could have been easily prevented. Should have been done at least by 6 months.
I agree. When we had male dogs, after they got their little surgery and end of problem of marking. As with most pets, takes loving and training to replace a bad habit. Watch the Dog Whisper guy, he has great tips for making a happy pet.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:08 PM

We rescued a papillion a yr. ago. She was mistreated ,was so scared, wouldn't eat, and was loaded with sore spots and fleas. Bitsie is precious, and doesn't like me to go out of her site, or daddy.First dog[of many that we have had]to be able to sleep on our bed.Have to watch her cause she will end up right between my hubby and my head. My brother has one too and just got a male puppy but is having a tough time training him. We tried a male once but will only own females now. Bitsie is a lot of company for me, and we are blessed to have her. Good luck to you!!!