Which dog to get

Old 11-02-2010, 02:49 AM

Sitting here reading this makes me think of our beloved dog that we put down because of cancer. Anyway I have also been so fond of Lab crossed. They are the very friendly, best companion. My youngest has a full bred Lab, not to smart, my oldest has a rescue crossed Lab and so do my neighbors and they love to be with you. I am sure which ever you chose it will become your best friend. All they want is companionship, feed, and LOVED
Old 11-02-2010, 06:25 AM

OUR SUPER BEST DOG WAS A GREATDANE. SHE WAS AN INSIDE DOG.OBEDIANT, EASILY TRAINED, DIDN'T NEED TO RUN AND NO THEY DON'T EAT THAT MUCH.SHE WAS AWSUME.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by JACRN
OUR SUPER BEST DOG WAS A GREATDANE. SHE WAS AN INSIDE DOG.OBEDIANT, EASILY TRAINED, DIDN'T NEED TO RUN AND NO THEY DON'T EAT THAT MUCH.SHE WAS AWSUME.
Yep, I am almost 70 and my great dane is just wonderful. Loves kids and a great sleeping companion.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
Asking advice here. I can tell there are lots of dog lovers on this board. So here is my question. After losing our sweet Chow last year (he was 15 and we had had him since he was 6 weeks old), I am ready to get another dog. But which kind? I want a medium size dog -40 to 50 pounds tops - not terribly particular about the breed. Also I want an older dog - I figure he will have to put up with my age related aches and pains so I should be willing to put up with his. And besides I am not up to a puppy or very young dog's energy level. I have looked at the English springer spaniel rescue group and kind of like their looks. Any thoughts?
I personally would not go for a springer they can be very lively well into old age - I would suggest a Labrador (I might be biased as I have a 14 year old) she is so good natured and quite happy with her little walks - also over here (not sure about where you are) you can take in ex-racing greyhounds, apparantly they need short walks and are usually very well trained on the lead
Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 AM

I am a black lab person (or lab mix). Very family oriented. We had a lab/boxer mix for 15 years before we lost her. Good for you for looking for a new family member :-).
Old 11-02-2010, 10:47 AM

I have a 3year old border collie/akita mix who we adopted from a family that were no longer able to keep her due to both of them loosing their jobs. I have always thought a mix breed dog is a great pet. Usually they are healthier and are glad for the attention. You might want to consider a golden retreiver which is a great family pet. You will know the right dog when you find them. Good luck in your search. Let us know who is your new best friend.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Have you called your local Vets or Dog Groomers. They know the animals that are being displaced by peoples economic/medical hardship but have had good care. Also, they usually are part of the contacts to responsible rescue groups.
I pray you find the perfect companion for you.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 AM

Please check the shelter. We adopted a boxer several years ago and he is the best dog ever. So loyal and loving and appreciates the home he has. I know a boxer is bigger than what you would want but the shelter is over run with animals that need a good loving home. Good luck and I am sure you will find the best one for you.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:22 PM

You will know which dog when you see it.I had to put down my Half yorky and the other half was westie.She went through a lot with me and was my best buddy.I was going to get a dog from the shelter but then I seen My Basset, And I say my Basset because as soon as I seen her I knew she was mine.She's 6 months old now. Not very active.Very laid back.And a big sweetheart.She'll be about 50 lbs when grown.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:13 PM

While there are some breeds that are reasonably less active than others, it really depends on the specific dog. Now that you have decided on a mature dog, it really opens up the options quite a bit. Going through a rescue group can give you the best advantage for making a good fit for your requirements. Most of them place homeless pets in foster homes and the foster family can give you the best description of the dogs needs (whether it is high energy or not, protective, sleeps in the bed, etc).

However, here are a few breeds I think you should look into: Standard Poodle (there is a lesser known medium sized ones called "Moyen" or "Klein"), Standard American Eskimo, English Cocker Spaniel, Clumber Spaniel, Whippet, Retired Greyhound, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Kerry Blue Terrier, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, SharPei, Tibetan Terrier. Ultimately, the right dog will find you. Best of luck.