Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only person in the world that has fabric that shrinks? >

Am I the only person in the world that has fabric that shrinks?

Am I the only person in the world that has fabric that shrinks?

Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandra-P
I never used to pre wash my fabric until one time when I made placemats and some of the strips didnt shrink and some did. What a disaster. Now I wash before I use it in hopes that I dont have anything like that happen.
Aren't you glad that it was "only" placemats?

Did you get that nice, crinkly, old-fashioned look?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 AM

I always prewash. I recently purchased a red "quilter's cotton" fabric at Hancocks and it went from 44" down to 38" after washing and drying. I shutter to think what my finished quilt would look like if I hadn't pre-washed that fabric! In my opinion, there is just too much variance between fabrics to take a chance on not pre-washing. I always dry in the dryer because I figure that most people I give quilts to will wash in washer and dry in dryer.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:56 AM

I always pre-shrink. I work too long and hard on a quilt top to have it ruined by shrinking. I am amazed at the amount of shrinking a piece of fabric can shrink down. I always buy a little extra if I am buying yardage for a particular quilt pattern. Then I don't have to worry about trying to match it later!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:59 AM

I have been taught to wash and dry all fabric before using. So I have done that but sometimes it still shrinks the next time you wash it also. Not sure why.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:03 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I've noticed that some brands/lines of fabric shrink much more than others.

For instance... the Quilters Only Solids that are made by Springs, and are sold at JoAnn Fabrics. If you lay a piece out on the ironing board, and just mist it, you can see it contract before your very eyes.

Creepily fascinating to watch it do that...
Old 11-03-2010, 05:09 AM

Yes I have had fabrics shrink, in fact I was working with a fabric I got at Wal-Mart that shrunk every time I ironed it. I know it was 100% cotton because I have spotted it on some sites being used in tutorials. I did prewash, it faded badly and then ironed before cutting. At first I wondered what I was doing wrong, maybe cutting mistake even though I slowed down and was so careful. After ironing I measured and sure enough every time I ironed it got a little smaller.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:32 AM

i think there are things to consider:
1. where did you get the fabric...chain stores rather than first quality quilt shop fabrics can react differently, so those i would pre-wash.
2. scrap quilt with mixed manufacturers i would pre-wash
3. dark colors going into applique quilts with light backgrounds I would pre-wash
4. flannel quilts for a baby that are likely to get washed many times, i may pre-wash (not agitate, just wet them, spin them and dry them).

when i make quilts as samples for new patterns or fabric collections, there is no time to pre-wash. The quilts are washed when finished. I like the vintage look that i get when quilts are washed after...I use dream cotton batting or hobbs 80/20, and do a lot of quilting. There is probaly not a rule that fits all quilts all the time for me.

Quilts should not be washed in hot water, or dried in a hot dryer. cool water, low-moderate heat dryer setting, 10 minutes at a time. Not until they are bone dry...just dry enough not to bleed if fabrics are suspicious, then laid flat to finish drying.

If a fabric is going to shrink, you can see it happen under your iron if you are using spray starch to mist the fabric before the iron hits it.

Scrap fabrics with mixed manufacturers and mixed purchase sources i would pre-wash for sure.

And if the backing fabric is not the same manufacturer as the top fabric, i would recommend washing that also. I know lot of folks try to save money by using a less expensive backing, and if that shrinks after the quilt is done, it can truly ruin the whole quilt (don't ask me how i know)
Old 11-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I have never measured, but I do prewash! I got some reds in the 80's from my SIL that bleed so bad, so certain colors scare me!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:44 AM

I started as a seamstress and learned to always prewash the fabric before cutting it out. Otherwise your finished garment will shrink and be too small, especially 100% cotton. So I always 'preshrink' my fabrics.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:53 AM

Wonder if I wash my body in very hot water and then dry it in a dryer will I shrink a few inches? If I could find a stand up dryer I'd try it, LOL! May in Jersey