Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Use a Side Winder Bobbin Machine? >

Do You Use a Side Winder Bobbin Machine?

Do You Use a Side Winder Bobbin Machine?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Yup, it's my husband's job when he is watching tv to wind my bobbins, and no he's mine, nobody can have him. :D
Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 AM

I bought one while still using my Brother. I loved it and could wind as many bobbins as I wanted in no time at all. My Singer, old touch and sew, has the bobbin with the metal pin in the middle so it can wind "in" the machine. My Side Winder will not work on this type bobbin, but if I knew one that did, I would be in my car on the way to buy one.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM
KLO

I like my Side Winder also. Bought it at JoAnn's with a coupon and have it plugged in and sitting next to my machine so I can wind a new bobbin without "unthreading" the machine when I run out with inches to go (after shouting argh!) Works great on my Bernina bobbins. The new one looks even better but I will have to wait until mine breaks to get that one.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:15 AM

I did figure out that u can adjust the tenison of the bobbin winder, and stop it when it looks full it will work with the brother...but come to think of it I cant remember where I put the turkey!!Getting bad with crms here.

barbara
Old 11-03-2010, 12:04 PM

I have one which doesn't work with my Designer 1. I was told to load the bobbin upside down and it works in a fashion, but...
Old 11-03-2010, 12:51 PM

I have a side winder and love it. I usually wait till I am down to a couple of threaded bobbins, then fill all my bobbins which number about 25 with different colors of thread, plus several white and black. I saw it at Walmart for 25dollars. I had a birthday coming and asked my husband to purchase one for me. That was three yrs ago. I am still using it. I love it, I will never use my babylock to wind bobbins ever again. Go for it, you will not be sorry.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Yes, I use mine a lot. I have Pfaff and Bernina and it works grest for both type of bobbins. My SW is always out near the machine and ready to work when I want it.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gilla
I have one which doesn't work with my Designer 1. I was told to load the bobbin upside down and it works in a fashion, but...
My Viking Dealer told me the side winder doesn't work with Viking bobbins. You can wind without removing the thread; why would you want to waste money on one? Another frivolous waste of money as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:29 PM

Love mine and use it all the time!
Old 11-03-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Otterhound
I have had mime for a couple of years. Love it, does all my bobbins. I guess the new winder will do larger spools of thread and all bobbins. Good investment.
Little Trick: Put your sidewinder near the spool pin that sits on the bed of your machine, or under the top spool pin on the arm. Place your taller spool on one of these spool pins, then pull the thread down past where the spool pin is on the sidewinder so that it drags past it as it goes to the loop and tension control, it will ususally allow you to wind the larger spools without them jumping off the little sidewinder. It works for me. :-D