Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Use a Side Winder Bobbin Machine? >

Do You Use a Side Winder Bobbin Machine?

Do You Use a Side Winder Bobbin Machine?

Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 PM

I just got the new Deluxe Sidewinder. It works much better than the original one. I am now using it to wind all my Featherweight and Janome plastic bobbins. It was expensive but it does a great job and it includes spindles that you can change out to wind all kinds of bobbins, including ones for Gammil and Handi-quilter. The list of bobbins includes Viking groups 2,3,4 transparent and Viking green plastic bobbins also, among many others.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM

Have used the Side Winder since it first came out for all four of my machines. I particularly enjoy it for winding bobbins of hand stitching thread for applique or other hand projects. Mark the bobbin with a notebook hole reinforcement label, so I know what the thread is, and several will fit in a small container to take with me. Can't imagine life without it!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:42 PM

LOVE MINE!!! Couldn't live without it now!
Old 11-03-2010, 03:04 PM

I do have one but sometimes it doesn't always wind my bobbin correctly, it could be user error. I really like the prewound bobbins that I use while putting quilts together, they have so much more thread on one bobbin and it lasts so long. I also have a Bernina 830 that uses the larger bobbins and I have to wind them on the front of my machine.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:33 PM

I just got one and love it!!! I too, hate to run out in the middle of sewing and have to undo the machine, wind a bobbin and then thread the machine again. Saves alot of time and my frustrations aren't running wild.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:40 PM

My Side Winder works great for filling my Janome 7700 bobbins, however, it does NOT do a very good job on the bobbin for my Viking Designer SE; it only fills them a bit past half way. Easy to use and very portable for taking to classes if you are unsure what colors you will need.

Josi
Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 PM

All I can say is that I love mine... I can wind a bunch of bobbins at one time and have them ready when I do machine embroidery. I buy prewound a while back but my Janome dealer told me that I should not use them...so I rewind them onto Janome bobbins. One prewound winds on one bobbin...

Very easy...
Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
I did use mine, can only use it for regular spools. I'm back to using but, haven't gotten out the side winder, maybe tomorrow.
I love mine! I have an old Singer that no longer winds bobbins (part not available anymore) I wind lots at a time. I have a DeellyBobber adapter for cones and cardboard spools. That works great on my machines too!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by txstitcher
I'm thinking about asking for a Side Winder Bobbin Machine for Christmas, but am wondering how practical they really are.

Do you use one?

Michelle
I like mine for the bobbins on my Baby Lock Quilters Choice Professional, but my plastic Janome bobbins seem a little light for it. But I usually use prewounds on my Janome anyway.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:27 PM

Don't waste your money. I have one and have never been able to get it to work properly. Either it gets tangled or it won't windf the bobbin properly making my sewing machine jam.