My FREE Featherweight!!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:38 PM

I have a 301A Singer but it is not for sale. Bought it 40 years ago and it is still sews fabulously...and not one day in the repair shop! I know where one just like it is if you are interested in one. It is not the same as a 301 I believe.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:42 PM

Diane,
That's a wonderful find! Do you have a manual for it? They are wonderful little machines. I have 3 of them.
Sharon
Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by ccthomas
What is free cycle? I have not heard of this one.

And does everyone name their sewing machines? I never even thought of giving a name! I am amazed. Now I am thinking!
Hi CC,

Freecycle is a yahoo group where people post stuff they want to get rid of for free. The idea is to keep usable things out of the trash, so you see lots of broken things on there (like lawnmowers), that are fixable or useable for parts, tons of furniture, and kids clothes and toys.

You will get a lot of emails from the group, but well worth it and the delete button willl be your friend! I have gotten a wonderful patio set, a complete set of luggage, a NEW Showtime rotisserie, and I have seen some fabulous things on there. Some people just want you to clean out their house for them, but being a treasure hunter, I'm game! My landlord loves that I am on it because I get stoves and refridgerators for him, but his favorite is the riding lawnmower that needed a minor repair.

Go to http://www.freecycle.org, and follow the prompts to pick your state and area and join the groups closest to your location.

I have given away all my excess craft stuff, some furniture, bedding, clothes, shoes, planter pots, boom box, TV, hanging file folders, a desk, picture frames, dishes, tons of VHS tapes, and lots of books.

The most exciting thing I have ever seen on Freecycle was a whole kitchen! New homeowners of a seven year old house, wanted to remodel the kitchen and gave away everything currently in that kitchen, cabinets and appliances, to anyone who would come and carefully remove it by a certain date. Probably worth about $10K!

I don't know about anyone else, but I name my car (Tessie the Taurus) and some of my electrical buddies, like my sewing machines, Stella, Bertha, and Gert. If I ever get a 201 or a 301, her name will be Millie, after my grandma, who sewed on a 201. I don't mind being an oddball at all! LOL!

Diane
Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by lsaunder
I have a 301A Singer but it is not for sale. Bought it 40 years ago and it is still sews fabulously...and not one day in the repair shop! I know where one just like it is if you are interested in one. It is not the same as a 301 I believe.
Hi Isaunder!

Thanks for the offer, but I need a free to fabulous deal in order to buy a machine I want rather than need. It wouldn't matter to me if it was a 301 or the A, they both have a fabulous stitch.

Diane
Old 11-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Diane,
That's a wonderful find! Do you have a manual for it? They are wonderful little machines. I have 3 of them.
Sharon
Hi Sharon,

Yes, the original manual came with it, as well as attachments, screwdrivers and 6 bobbins. I did notice there isn't a seam guide, so I will have to pick on up for it, and the light bulb isn't working.

Do you use the attachments that came with yours? I have to clean the attachments and was wondering what I should use. They are covered in something tacky, like gas residue you would find on stove fans on a gas stove.

Where do you order parts from if you needed them?

Diane
Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by dmackey
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Diane,
Sharon
Hi Sharon,

Yes, the original manual came with it, as well as attachments, screwdrivers and 6 bobbins. I did notice there isn't a seam guide, so I will have to pick on up for it, and the light bulb isn't working.

Do you use the attachments that came with yours? I have to clean the attachments and was wondering what I should use. They are covered in something tacky, like gas residue you would find on stove fans on a gas stove.

Where do you order parts from if you needed them?

Diane
I haven't used any of the attachments, couldn't figure out how. I think you could use Simple green to clean the attachments, sorry I'm not much help all of my attachments were in good shape. Don't ever put any oil in the motor, use the Singer lube in the tube that you can get at JoAnns or maybe Wal-mart.
I order parts from www.221parts.com
Join the Yahoo group for Featherweights, lots of knowledgeble people there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feathe...yguid=96471279
Old 11-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Dee

Congrats! Happy quilting.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:12 AM

I love finding sewing machines that way-I also name all my machines-have I guess 4-Marmee, Meg, etc. Great find. J
Old 11-04-2010, 04:57 PM

Wow you are really a lucky girl.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:54 PM

SUPER Find for sure !!