Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-03-2010, 03:54 PM

abonda, I love your pieces, they are wonderful.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:07 PM

Don't mean to be a smarty pants, but I never do any basting. I just use Heat & Bond , press it on & then I either blanket stitch or satin stitch it on by machine. I also did a Sun Bonnet Sue , some years ago & really enjoyed doing it.
Greeter Eva
Old 11-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
abonda, I love your pieces, they are wonderful.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM

I'm thinking about sewing four hexagons together then applique then onto a mug rug.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
I'm thinking about sewing four hexagons together then applique then onto a mug rug.
ohhh that sounds interesting? let us see pics when you do.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:33 PM

I am getting more & more into applique by hand & love it. I find it so relaxing, once the prep work is done & you can just sit & stitch! Looks like a nice place to share all this!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by happymrs
I am getting into more & more into applique by hand & love it. I find it so relaxing, once the prep work is done & you can just sit & stitch! Looks like a nice place to share all this!
GREAT! I love to hand stitch for that very reason. It's nice to just sit in a comfy chair and stitch. Feel free to post pix of your work.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:14 PM

Well I finally got some pieces cut out last night, but I work back to back jobs again tomorrow soooo we will see when I might be back to this...oh poor me, I am turning into one of people where you have 3-4 projects sitting on the cutting table at once....ok I heard you laughing...I am serious, more then one project at a time just confuses me ..lol
Old 11-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Suz

Gals, I don't know what happened but I have not been getting any notices that postings were being made. I thought the Applique Club was lost. So when I went looking, I was three long pages behind. Anyhow, I do have some comments to several of you.

Helen - about the leaves you have done. I noted they are all different, so making a template was not feasbile. To make these leaves using needle turn applique, I would use my pigma pen and draw the shape on the top side of the fabric. Do a rough cut and trim closely (1/8") as you go. Stitch, trim, stitch, trim. Attempt to start stitching on a straighter edge. You will have to cut into the cleft ("V") to within a thread or two of the leaf fabric. Take three deeper stitches in the cleft; one in the center and two to either side - similar to duck toes. Yes, you will see these three stitches, but it is ok. Do this since there is such a small amount of fabric in the cleft. (Yes, pigma pen. If you turn on the line, it will be hidden by your stitches.)

Bonnie - love the applique candle mat. If you plan to use it in a table runner or quilt, make note of the directional red center fans fabric. Get them turned the right direction. Use two ply embroidery thread. Black yarn would be nice. Really like the colors of this mat. Hearts looking good. You are a real cheerleader for all of us.

Connie - The dresden plate if very nice however I think the blades and the background are competing. Think about choosing a quieter one next time, either the background or blades. Love the purple hearts. Don't you love the varigated fabrics available?

Abonda - attempt to keep your buttonhole stitches closer to the leaf or flower. You can almost put the stitch under the leaf and then draw your yarn a bit tighter; not too tight to make puckers, but to keep the yarn closer. Air should not be seen between the leaf and the background. -- The tablecloth. Beautiful. Beautiful. Get it done for Christmas.

And then the nine-block flower quilt. Wonderful. Love the colors, the layout. However, there is one thing I would have done differently. I would have matched the binding to the outside border. Years ago, when I was a beginner, I put on a light binding and was told never to use a light binding, of course, unless the quilt itself is light. The binding is the picture frame and essentially ends the quilt. Lighter binding tends to lend to more to come.

Folks, I am not an expert and hope I have not offended by saying too much. Just trying to lend preferences from my experiences and ideas in an attempt to encourage and help you.

Suz
Old 11-04-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Suz
Gals, I don't know what happened but I have not been getting any notices that postings were being made. I thought the Applique Club was lost. So when I went looking, I was three long pages behind. Anyhow, I do have some comments to several of you.

Helen - about the leaves you have done. I noted they are all different, so making a template was not feasbile. To make these leaves using needle turn applique, I would use my pigma pen and draw the shape on the top side of the fabric. Do a rough cut and trim closely (1/8") as you go. Stitch, trim, stitch, trim. Attempt to start stitching on a straighter edge. You will have to cut into the cleft ("V") to within a thread or two of the leaf fabric. Take three deeper stitches in the cleft; one in the center and two to either side - similar to duck toes. Yes, you will see these three stitches, but it is ok. Do this since there is such a small amount of fabric in the cleft. (Yes, pigma pen. If you turn on the line, it will be hidden by your stitches.)

Bonnie - love the applique candle mat. If you plan to use it in a table runner or quilt, make note of the directional red center fans fabric. Get them turned the right direction. Use two ply embroidery thread. Black yarn would be nice. Really like the colors of this mat. Hearts looking good. You are a real cheerleader for all of us.

Connie - The dresden plate if very nice however I think the blades and the background are competing. Think about choosing a quieter one next time, either the background or blades. Love the purple hearts. Don't you love the varigated fabrics available?

Abonda - attempt to keep your buttonhole stitches closer to the leaf or flower. You can almost put the stitch under the leaf and then draw your yarn a bit tighter; not too tight to make puckers, but to keep the yarn closer. Air should not be seen between the leaf and the background. -- The tablecloth. Beautiful. Beautiful. Get it done for Christmas.

And then the nine-block flower quilt. Wonderful. Love the colors, the layout. However, there is one thing I would have done differently. I would have matched the binding to the outside border. Years ago, when I was a beginner, I put on a light binding and was told never to use a light binding, of course, unless the quilt itself is light. The binding is the picture frame and essentially ends the quilt. Lighter binding tends to lend to more to come.

Folks, I am not an expert and hope I have not offended by saying too much. Just trying to lend preferences from my experiences and ideas in an attempt to encourage and help you.

Suz
Thanks for the comments Suz. Wondered what had happened to you. :) I have another project that I'm stitching up and am almost done with the hearts. I'll post pictures by this weekend for sure. :)

ahem. Suz? Are YOU doing the heart project also? I don't remember seeing yours. (grins)