Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-05-2010, 04:16 AM

Nothing wrong with taking some time off from any project that isn't necessary to your life, the fabric doesn't need feeding or care, it will wait for you. Meanwhile, go to a quilt show, walk through the fabric department, feel the fabric and move it around. Inspiration comes at strange times, be ready for it. You have been trying too hard and need some time off. We all do.
Carol J.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:17 AM

For years, I was busy with two jobs and raising two girls. Then came along 6 grandkids and 4 step grandkids, very involved with activities that they like to see "Grandma" to help out. Now, my grandkids are almost grown and I turned my attention to my sewing room. Material piled every where. I started sewing up a storm to "move" the material out of the sewing room. If I don't get anything accomplished, I shut the door and don't worry about it for a day or so.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:21 AM

I also am at a difficult point in my life with much illness in family and busy work schedule. I try to prepare at least 15 minutes worth of machine sewing, all cut, pinned, and staged at the machine so I can slide into the chair before supper and lose myself in the sewing for at least a few minutes. Works for me.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:22 AM

First off, let me say this. I love your user name and avitar. Now, I'll say this, with all of the things you have going on, its no wonder that you can't get or stay interested. I think you are probably too tired. You need some encouragement. You are probably trying too hard to produce. Just slow down and take your time. Kick your feet up in the recliner and hand stitch awhile. Just don't get in too big of a hurry. Taking your time will stop a lot of the repairs.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:24 AM

Give yourself a break here. If I had a job, kids, and an hour commute you would have to put me in a rubber room!!! With everything that you are responsible for, its no wonder you have little energy left to create.
When I had kids, job, etc. I would take about half hour after the kids were in bed and fill graph paper notebooks with ideas for quilts. Seldom had time to actually do any sewing, however those notebooks full of ideas eventually led to me sending in a proposal for a book. Ok so it was 25 years later--but I had always dreamed of doing just that. Much to my surprise the proposal was accepted. So give yourself a break, you have a lot of obligations right now. As kids grow up and (hopefully move out) grin. You will then have more time for yourself.
I have a young friend (she has 5 kids from 5-14-there are twins involved here-grin) She works at the kids school, and has another part time job. She has a basket on her kitchen counter with some hand work in it. She sets a timer for 15 minutes, after dishes etc are done for the day. Its known, in her house, as "MOM TIME"--Took a while for the kids to understand this small bit of time, was just that, "MOM TIME" and do not interrupt unless someone is bleeding or the house is on fire. She always tells me its what keeps her sanity. I hope you can work something out to have just a few minutes a day you can call your own.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:28 AM

fabrichore, i feel all of what you're saying. i also have/had struggles with my son. emotional exhaustion. worry dried up my creative juices. i know we shouldnt blame others, but that was my reality. as others are saying, do small things when you can. i decided to hand sew some parts of a small quilt i started. dont usually like hand sewing, but i'm finding it is really calming for me. when it's done, its done. hugs to you!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 AM

I too have a problem coming to the quilting room after I have been gone and then come home. You are just too tired after a long day of coping with life. You might try getting up an hour or so earlier and sewing then. Or you could pick a special time just for you first thing on Saturday morning.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:38 AM

I "third" that ...

Originally Posted by cbridges22
Originally Posted by KathyAire
You might have the same problem that I have. I have intentions of working on some quilting project. But, I have to just take a quick peek at this forum to see if there is anything that I am missing. Two hours later, my quilting time is gone and I'm still peeking.
Boy can I relate to that!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
First of all evict all of those negative messages running in your head from your mother, sister, aunt, friend, lady in the market or anywhere else you (and I and most people) have collected them from. What you do and when you do it and how you do it is right for you and don't let anyone tell you diffrently. If you only have energy to sew 10 mins a day then that is what you should do. There is no right way and wrong way to sew. Sewing is something (I have found for me) that you need to be in the mood to do. If I force sewing I will screw it up every time. Relax, this is supposed to be fun. Maybe a glass of wine first.
I agree with the small amount of time sewing - like 10 minutes. That's why Nancy Zeiman wrote "10,20, 30 minutes to Sew" book. Break a project down into 10 -15 minute steps. Like 'cut 2 WOF strips" or sew one strip to another and STOP. You'll feel so successful that you met that goal, it will eventually motivate you to do more. If not - and you're comfortable with 10 minutes a day - that's great.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 AM

I read through this whole thread and here's another suggestion: Find a friend to sew with. Make a date for perhaps once a month or whatever works. Then you will have to cut something out, or organize a project, and be ready for that date. Stop at Starbucks! on the way. or bring something to make it special and enjoy the time with your quilting friend in the QSS (quilting sweat shop!). You two will have a great time (wish you lived closer, then we could sweat together) Sometimes this is the only way I get quilting done.
Other great suggestions that I noticed where to set the timer for 15 minutes, take Vitamin D (really it helps), choose a small project or just choose a block you like and make one a day (I ended up with enough for 3 quilts that way) or make baby quilts for gifts or charity.
My stash keeps growing and so does my stack of magazines and books. I can always look at a book or mag when I don't feel like quilting! Then I sometimes tear out or copy plans for quilts I like and put them in page protectors and in a binder. You don't have to been quilting all the time to be a quilter!!! :)