Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-05-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
First of all evict all of those negative messages running in your head from your mother, sister, aunt, friend, lady in the market or anywhere else you (and I and most people) have collected them from. What you do and when you do it and how you do it is right for you and don't let anyone tell you diffrently. If you only have energy to sew 10 mins a day then that is what you should do. There is no right way and wrong way to sew. Sewing is something (I have found for me) that you need to be in the mood to do. If I force sewing I will screw it up every time. Relax, this is supposed to be fun. Maybe a glass of wine first.
Best advice I've heard in years, thank you.

I'd give the glass of wine a try but, with my meds, I'm sure I'd be dancing on top of my sewing table, not a pretty sight I assure you.

;-) ;-)
Old 11-05-2010, 06:04 AM

I save hand piecing or hand quilting for those times I just CANT sit down at the machine. Place it near where you sit to watch TV and it will call out to you. You can pick it up, do a few stiches, and then lay it right back down. No committment! Before you realize it, you have quilted and/or have pieced quite a bit.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by fabrichore
The other day I was talking to my other half about my sewing room, blahblahblah, anyway he said "I don't think you are a quilter, I think you just like to collect fabric", and I had to stop and think about it, recently I have been having a hard time getting into the sewing room ( a new sewing room mind you) and sitting there and completeing anything, I have many ideas and thoughts but nothing ever materilizes...I make a mistake and I have to pull it all out and do again and I find myself losing interest really quickly, I do like to sew and make pretty things, I am new to quilting and have made two quilts and some pillows but I do not know what my problem is, I have been struggling with my son lately but I am not going to blame him for my Inadequacies, I work all day and it takes an hour to get home, so by the time I get home I do not want to do anything,,,my mom would call it lazy and maybe I am...I am trying very hard not to convince myself I am not capable of doing this whole sewing thing, I love fabric, I love color, and I really do like to sew and create, so what in the world is wrong with me.... :cry:
Sometimes we just lose interest in things, perhaps the project of the moment. If you enjoy doing something, you will probably go back to it. Don't beat yourself up. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate, and just don't have the energy every day. Try setting up a time that is YOU time when your schedule doesn't interfere and your are not tired.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 AM
PJO

When a person works outside the home its hard to find time to sew. Sounds to me, that you're not much different than the rest of us. I still have unfinished projects from years ago!! Don't give up!! Believe it or not, there will some days when everything comes together just right!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:46 AM

Sounds to me like you're trying to be superwoman. Give yourself a break. I collected fabric for years before I finally had time to actually make quilts. A person can only do so much without breaking down. My mother used to use the word lazy a lot to describe others. I really took it to heart & really tried to not fit that description. Eventually I started thinking & realized that she was actually the lazy one. Pot calling the kettle black? lol Hang in there. Quilting time will come.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by sheliab12
I have it too and I think it is fear of failure. I have a lot of ideas and study photos and think I can do that. But, I have so much trouble getting it right and I give up. Now I am afraid to try.
I can really relate to you!! My husbad says this is what I have...therefore, I have a hard time starting something....whether sewing or painting...
once get started, I am fine. I just need a push to get started.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
i have the same problem except i'm really old (74) and when i get home i almost never feel like sitting at the sewing machine. most of my sewing is on saturday. i do embroidery or some other hand work while in my recliner. give yourself a break, mother, working outside home, son, husband, etc. have fun but don't beat up on yourself.
Bite your tongue. I'm right behind you in years and can vouch for the fact that you are not old! I have dry times like everyone else but these times pass, too. Hang in there and don't worry about it. You'll get past this, too.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:12 AM

I agree. You are probably just tired and stressed. Forget about sewing for a while. It should be something you do for yourself to relax--not something you have to do. Maybe you should just relax with a cup of coffee and look at some sewing/quilting mags or books. But, by all means, give yourself a break! :wink:
Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 AM

You know I feel like that sometimes. I belong to a guild and a quilting group and it really helps. I decided to make a few small projects between quilts. that way my creative juices flow and I have something completed in a few hours and it gets me excited for the next quilt. It has worked so far. I am newer to quilting and have been doing it for two years. I started thinking what is this about a stash. I don't need to collect fabric. HA that didn't last into my next quilt!!! I have only made 8 quilts over the last two years but many little projects.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 AM

I definitely agree w/ overload - I've had it happen to me = days when I can't bring myself to sew & I too have a room designed just for sewing. Relax, make something for someone else or better yet, yourself and just enjoy it when you doing it. You got to enjoy it or it isn't going to happen. PS - I still buy fabric when I'm in a funk! Don't apologize.