Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Connecting threads fabrics >

Connecting threads fabrics

Connecting threads fabrics

Old 11-04-2010, 06:35 PM

I really like CT fabrics. Just put in my second order a couple of days ago for more batiks. (they're my passion right now) Then I get the new catalog and already have a list of what I want to order. :lol:
Old 11-05-2010, 04:26 AM

I am rethinking my earlier comment about Connecting Threads. I used their mirage fabrics (after washing them) and in over twenty years of quilting/sewing, I have NEVER had fabric unravel (threads EVERYWHERE) as bad as that did. I tried to handle the strips as little as possible, but the threads were everywhere. I even changed the blade in my rotary cutter, thinking that a dull blade might have caused some of it, but that didn't help. I am going to be seriously rethinking the use of that fabric. I was so disappointed. The fabric feels great, but I spent half and hour cutting threads after I finished the border I was working on (for a round robin) and still felt like I hadn't even gotten half of them.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 AM

I don't know about Connecting Threads fabric, however if you need fabric for charity quilts join a quilt guild or a group like Project Linus. They usually have fabric for philanthropy projects.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 AM

I have never been disappointed by fabric from Connecting Threads. Ditto fabric.com and ThousandsOfBolts.com, or both Eleanor Burns sites. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've been very happy with my online orders from these and other sites. If there's a question, just give them a call and they'll be glad to answer them.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:50 PM

I've made several purchases from Connecting Threads and while I consider them superior to JoAnns, they are not up to the local quilt shop fabric level. I am a hand piecer and find that they fray easier with the handling but do make nice, crisp points and press out very well, holding their ironed in position thru the basting and long-arm quilting.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I am rethinking my earlier comment about Connecting Threads. I used their mirage fabrics (after washing them) and in over twenty years of quilting/sewing, I have NEVER had fabric unravel (threads EVERYWHERE) as bad as that did. I tried to handle the strips as little as possible, but the threads were everywhere. I even changed the blade in my rotary cutter, thinking that a dull blade might have caused some of it, but that didn't help. I am going to be seriously rethinking the use of that fabric. I was so disappointed. The fabric feels great, but I spent half and hour cutting threads after I finished the border I was working on (for a round robin) and still felt like I hadn't even gotten half of them.
Oh, I hate to read this!:cry:

I have a quilt top for DD's FIL ready to be quilted. I noticed it raveled a bit during the making and was worried about that. I hope the quilt will be okay after quilting and washing. I was going to make my BIL a quilt with the same fabric line but I will wait and see how this quilt turns out. :cry:
Old 11-06-2010, 03:43 PM

I found it to be better than that what I purchased in Joann's...

I bought quite a large quantity for backings and have since used in in some of the quilt fronts also........
Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 AM

I too have purchased from CT several times. I compare them superior to Joann's but not your LQS. Of course the fabric you buy at your LQS will be better, and you WILL pay the price.

CT is great for fabric, but you have to remember small articles ie. fat quarters, jelly rolls WILL rall in your washing machine. They are best washed by hand, and then air dried. Larger pieces can be sniped (corners) and machine washed. Hope this helps.
Stephanie
Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 AM

I find serging the raw edges is the best thing to do. Only takes a few minutes, but no raveling!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by CruisingStef
I too have purchased from CT several times. I compare them superior to Joann's but not your LQS. Of course the fabric you buy at your LQS will be better, and you WILL pay the price.

CT is great for fabric, but you have to remember small articles ie. fat quarters, jelly rolls WILL rall in your washing machine. They are best washed by hand, and then air dried. Larger pieces can be sniped (corners) and machine washed. Hope this helps.
Stephanie
Don't recommend ANY pre-washing of the precut fabrics such as jelly rolls, charm squares, layer cakes etc. Much too tedious ! I've used a lot of them, and never had a problem. With darker shades, I just use a color catcher sheet when I wash the quilt. :)