Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opportunity Question? >

Opportunity Question?

Opportunity Question?

Old 11-05-2010, 07:59 AM

I have one, never learnedhow to use it, so it just seats collecting dust.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:10 AM
cc

There's a book out called Serge and Merge Quilts that shows you how to use a serger to make quilts. Although a serger can't do many of the things a regular sewing machine can, than can do lots of great things--and fast! I just got a used Huskylock and am just learning about all the possibilities! I'm very excited about it. I would encourage you to get it since it's such a good price and in like-new condition.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:40 AM

I have used my serger to do quilts, mostly when attaching sashing, or I did a "quick and easy" jelly roll quilt, totally with my serger. I have also used it to seal my quilt clear around before attaching the binding, but I can't see doing it with little pieces.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Windwalker
I have the opportunity to purchase a Janome Serger 204D machine for $200.00. A friend I've known for over 40 years received it last Christmas from her husband. She told me she just hasn't been able to bond with it and wants to sell it. It is still in the box. She has offered to let me take it home and use it to see if I like it before purchasing.

Now my DH is willing to get if for me for Christmas if I want it. The problem is I don't know enough about quilting to know if I might need this machine. I am working on my first quilt top, I've just had so many family issues that I haven't had time to do any sewing.

I have Singer sewing machines now that I am using. And whenever I do get my quilt tops finished I want to machine quilt them myself.

So for those of you who have the knowledge, should I seriously consider this machine? If my life slows down enough for me to get serious about quilting like I hope, would I use it? (In case you cant' tell, I'm not even sure what a serger is used for.)

Your thoughts and suggestions please.
I've had a serger for years and use it extensively. But NOT for quilts. It is wonderful for clothes and other objects where you won/t be quilting over the seam. A serged seam will be thicker than a normal seam because of the 2,3, or 4 threads that wrap around the seam. When it comes to quilting I only use the serger to finish the cut ends of fabric before washing. When it comes to making clothes for DGD I wouldn't be without it.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:53 AM

Well in the first place, I would never use it for seaming a quilt as it adds bulk to the seams. If you do clothing sewing, it is greast but I have one and made vests and coats for Xmas and they went over great. good for making sweat shirts and decorative sewing. Not for quilting tho!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:46 AM

I use my serger so seldom I forget I even own one! If Someone was giving me one, I would accept it graciously, but $200.00 is a big chunk of change, in my book (even if the machine was worth a lot more), so I would probably pass.
I would probably suggest that she could make more than $200.00 selling it on-line or in the local want ads (maybe even to a sewing machine repairman).
Old 11-05-2010, 11:06 AM

I never use my serger forquilting, but if you sew garments or home decor, they are great. I have a Babylock Evolve Wave and love it.
D in TX
Old 11-05-2010, 11:54 AM

I suggest you go to the library and check out a book on serging. It's really fascinating what one can do with one. Most of the time you won't use it for quilting, but WOW when you do. The seams go so much faster than a regular sewing machine and you can set one up to cut off the edge or not. Do you have children to sew for? Sergers are a must for knits.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Mine is collecting dust in a box somewhere...my sewing machine is in the living room!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM

I would be lost without my serger. I bought it after I quit making clothing. It sits out and gets used a lot for mending and any other thing that comes along. Sometimes it gets used more than the sewing machine. For $200 I would go for it. The prices of a good serger are high. Then go see if there are classes for that machine somewhere. Even a few classes will help.
Recently I tore up some towels for use as grease rags and cleaning cloths. I serged them and do not need to worry about raveling when using them or washing them.