Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 PM

noveltyjunkie - you are the best pin in the pin cushion! You spoke with grace and forthrightness in every idea that needs to be addressed by fabrichore. Hurrah, for both of you and fabrichore, do lighten up upon yourself. I have been there done that years before my retirement and it really did not solve too many problems. Make time to sew; it is very relaxing. Forget about patterns and exact corners. Just strip quilt 10 inch blocks or make rail fence blocks. These can be done with nothing to think about and the personal bonding with fabric and creating of colors will make you feel so warm. Best wishes and please do not give up on yourself.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Try not to kick youir self to hard. we all have times like this. yes I have used the seam ripper alot. but you learn from your mistakes. at least I do. I made a puffed quilt a year ago , It would,nt fit in the washing machine , so guess what? I had to take it apart and make it a little smaller. so dont get discouraged, you will get back in the mode when you are ready. Mary
Old 11-05-2010, 04:58 PM

dont worry i have like seven projects started and i wanted to have them done for christmas i will sit there and say gee maybe i should do this or maybe that and with a busy secdule it does seem like i give up at times but just put things in front of you pick a design and just go with the flow
Old 11-05-2010, 05:04 PM

What's wrong with collecting fabric!?! I'd hate to hear what they have to say about me. Besides, would it make them feel better if you collected something like stamps or coins? Ridiculous.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:07 PM

If I had to drive an HOUR to get home... I would not be ready to sew, cook, clean, or think... sheeez... does dh come home from work and IMEDIATELY start in on projects or fix dinner or start cleaning... they need "down time".... You are not lazy....relax and do something else for a little while... the quilting will come back
Old 11-05-2010, 05:15 PM

No matter how much we love to quilt... sometimes we just need a break. So take a break & don't feel bad or worry about it. You will get the desire back.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Hmmmm......Are you afraid of cutting all that lovely fabric???? You said you had to rip out stuff. Do you feel pressured to make something perfect and fabulous since you've spent all that money on fabric. Have you made sewing into a chore instead of fun. Thinking up and putting together all the material for a project takes time and concentration...not something you have energy for after work, kids, and the house. Buy a little wallhanging or other pre put together kit and just enjoy the therapy of sewing.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I try to set small goals. Then when I go to bed at night instead of beating myself up for what I didn't do that day, I congratulate myself on what I've accomplished. Even if the list is small it makes me feel better about myself.
I agree with this post...small goals...after all you spend many,many hours a day doing for others, so whatever you feel like doing when you have down time is OK. Sometimes I can only congratulate myself for finishing a book I've been wanting to read or finally watching some of the stuff I've recorded from TV. Seems small but if that's all I get done today, there's always tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 PM

I know the feeling. I love the look of the color and fabric...but now I'm mostly overwhelmed. Seems like I have too much to do in front of me. Better to hide it, or not have it at all. Sometimes I think my husband is right - get rid of it all, then just buy enough for one project. But it's great to have what you have for when the moment of inspiration comes...and it will. Give yourself some time and try to stay away from the fabric stores! (ya, as if we could, ha, ha)
Old 11-05-2010, 05:44 PM

As long as I can remember I have loved the world of sewing. I mainly had scraps left over from all my years of sewing for my children, but when I got into quilting, I realized I needed a real stash! That gave me an excuse to buy fabric; when I found a great fabric sale, I needed to buy some to help build my stash! Well, my stash grew faster than I could turn things out. A couple years of health issues really set me back. But I discovered that even when I couldn't produce, it was such a stress reliever to visit my sewing room, small though it be. I love to feel the fabric, see the beautiful colors and dream about what I might one day make. It serves a purpose; it is part of my hobby! So be kind to yourself. Life will eventually slow down and your fabric will be there waiting. In the mean time, enjoy the journey!