Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-05-2010, 05:47 PM

Here's another thought...go to a local book store, buy a cup of flavored coffee and flip through a whole pile of quilting magazines. The gorgeous photos and cute holiday ideas might get you excited to start a project. Be kind to yourself...this is a journey, not a race!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:57 PM

I have a friend who calls her stash her "worship center." So just look and feel your fabric and don't feel guilty if you are not producing something. Inspiration will hit you one of these days.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 PM

I know how you feel! I worked in hospitals for 30 yrs and started quilting after my kids all left home. My DH has been very supportive, but sometimes he pressures me to complete projects that I feel I need to get away from for awhile. We've had a very stressful summer (each lost a parent). We've had to single-handedly clean a grocery store and prepare it to be sold. At one point, I got real busy and made a "stress quilt"! Just the top..I don't have it quilted yet. I was going to try to make some quilts for Christmas, but decided I just wouldn't have time this year. I've ordered some small kits, table topper and two table runners. THEN, my hands and feet went numb and tingly. I just came back today from neck surgery. This is making the hand quilting hard, but I can use the machine and even with the neck brace I should be able to do a little each day. Hands and feet feel a bit better, but recovery could take months. You are just worn out and need the break. Doing a smaller project that is easy to complete would probably help get you going, but don't try to work at night unless you can get a "second wind". I used to relax after dinner, then when DH went to bed about 9:00, I would go back and work for an hour on a project. When I got sleepy or started making mistakes I would just turn everything off and go to bed. Also, don't promise to make anything for anyone. It pressures you and you begin to dread working on it. Make things for people because you enjoy doing it and let it be a surprise. No pressure!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:05 PM

You're busy. I also love fabric, color & creating things from the vision in my head, but I didn't really get into quilting until I retired and the kids moved into their own places. Until that happens, your head is always on 50 other things and the dedicated time just doesn't happen. Even now, I can't sit & sew for hours uninterrupted. My head always comes up with a chore that must be done. Don't sweat the small stuff. We tend to be way too hard on ourselves. If you are relaxed when you are creating and enjoying it, who cares if it take months or years to finish a project.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:11 PM

I have a similar problem -- I get lots of projects "almost" finished, enough to see how pretty they are if they had the border, or the binding, or if they were quilted, etc -- but I can't motivate myself to finish them... I love fabric, and buy more as I find some I like, and add to my stash. I think it is more than being tired.. It's a "problem" - ....
Old 11-05-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by missionslady
As long as I can remember I have loved the world of sewing. I mainly had scraps left over from all my years of sewing for my children, but when I got into quilting, I realized I needed a real stash! That gave me an excuse to buy fabric; when I found a great fabric sale, I needed to buy some to help build my stash! Well, my stash grew faster than I could turn things out. A couple years of health issues really set me back. But I discovered that even when I couldn't produce, it was such a stress reliever to visit my sewing room, small though it be. I love to feel the fabric, see the beautiful colors and dream about what I might one day make. It serves a purpose; it is part of my hobby! So be kind to yourself. Life will eventually slow down and your fabric will be there waiting. In the mean time, enjoy the journey!
I like you!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 PM

I have spent over six months recovering from four trips to the hospital and two surgeries. I discovered that I needed to do things "one bite at a time" So 5 minutes at the machine instead of 15 minutes--or an hour! Now I can sew about 45 minutes , then need to rest. What about some super easy projects--like the 15 minute table runner (really it takes 30!) and place mats to match for gifts--or a lap quilt the easy way (strip quilted or 4, 9, or 16 patches). Or a tea cozy--or eyeglass cases--or small totes. t is amazing how much I got done 5 minutes at a time.....and it made me feel MUCH better to actually be able to do something again. When I could not sit at the machine, I fringed some wool shawls for gifts for Xmas.......
Tonight I made disappearing 9-patch table runners with the 15-minute method....and tomorrow am doing a demo on it at the quilt guild meeting. When I come home, I will make place mats to match---under an hour total for 4..plus 1/2 hour for the runner---made in "bites".
I found a wonderful way to get rid of frustration is to rip strips for strip quilts---watch it, though, some do NOT tear well--great way to get rid of angst! Use the fabrics you bought and now do not like--I do Grab n sew---PM me if you want to know how I sew them....
Old 11-05-2010, 06:21 PM

In response to Gabrielle's Mimi, you know, I almost said when I posted my message to make yourself a cup of flavored coffee, go in your sewing room and just enjoy! Glad you added that! Your idea of the sewing magazines was great. Nothing inspires me like flipping through the pages of a quilting book or magazine!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:30 PM

Oh my! That could almost describe me on some days. I have a full time, demanding job and a husband and teen-age son. I've found that during the week, I may not get to sew much, but I can oogle magazines and books and think about what I want to make. I have made 2 quilt tops (just need to add borders) and I'm very happy with them. But, I realized that I needed to finish something! So, I made a pot holder and you would have thought I'd completed a king sized quilt I was so excited. DH just laughed at me. It was a real movtivator though. So, enjoy your sewing time when you have time, consider some small projects interjected with larger ones for a sense of accomplishment, and do not feel bad for the times you don't feel like sewing.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 PM

You have my maiden name! Don't stress yourself out on your sewing slump. Try to sew on the weekends when you have more time or not, it's up to you.