Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping your cat off the ironing board >

Keeping your cat off the ironing board

Keeping your cat off the ironing board

Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM

can't keep them off. cover the board with towel when not using and never leave hot iron on board when not around. figure they don't know any better and really don't believe you can "train" a cat - mine pretty much have the attitude that they own the house, me and everything in it! yes, they are the masters of the house. at least the dogs listen!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:54 PM

Great idea feline. The first cat I had as an indoor cat swallowed a needle and thread once. When we came home from church the thread was hanging out of his mouth. We were fortunate to be able to rush him to the vet who got it out without having to do surgery. Very careful with things like that now.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
This is my bigger problem. She is really into helping me quilt or wants to learn to quilt. I can't believe how stubborn she is when it comes to moving off the quilt. I can squirt her, but she comes right back. She isn't interested in any other phase of quilt-making - only the quilting part & doesn't seem to mind the fact that her "bed" moves! She is 16 years old and still full of life.
This is exactly how my cat and I quilt!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
I have been working today on making quilted pillows and things were going a long quite well. My cat always hangs around the ironing board. I don't let her on it and today she jumped up on it I went to shew her off as I never let her on the ironing board and the iron fell on my arm and I got a nasty burn. What do you do to keep your cat off the ironing board?
You're kidding, right?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 PM

I butn myself on the oven pretty often. I just grab an icecube and press on the burn for a couple of minutes. It never blisters and never scars.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:37 PM

I have to chuckle at some of these suggestions. I suppose they would work on a normal cat but I have Lucy Fur! Lucy eats aluminum foil. Really. Water bottle, no way! She likes to shower with me. She tries to swim in the dogs water bowl. She likes the spray bottle game and tries to catch the pretty stream of water! A pan of marbles? She can pick up M&M's with her paw. She stretches her "fingers" out and picks all sorts of things up. She throws the rocks from my plants at the dogs sometimes, side arm. Marbles would make better projectiles!

At Christmas we put small jingle bells on the tree. She picked each of them off and would throw them down the stairs in the middle of the night to wake us up. I keep all of my pins in magnetic trays because she'll use he teeth to pick them up. She can pull straight pins out of several layers of fabric. Then sit there with it dangling from her lip until I take it away from her.

Keeping her off the ironing board is a lost cause. She can have the ironing board to nap on any time she wants. I've learned it's best to let sleeping cats lie! :lol:
Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

I have a very sturdy ironing board.

When I'm not using the iron, I unplug it and set it on the floor.

Easier than arguing with the cat. A cover or towel over the board is a good idea.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:49 AM

i use a spray bottle with water in it. with 7 cats it works very well
Old 11-06-2010, 03:28 AM

Hope your burn is getting better. My two cats are thwarted needleworkers. They sit on the machine, the ironing board, the mending (large pile), work in progress, ironing, lap, shoulder and take the pins out of pin cushions and tools and pencils etc out of containers. They rigorously quality control completed items and check out beds and chairs for comfort levels on a daily basis. Indeed, wherever there is a space, it will be filled by one or both of them. I have learned to live with it and to date have not burned or steamed a cat or myself. I have however, burned and steamed myself when ironing. Should I give up ironing?
Fizz
Old 11-06-2010, 03:31 AM

I don't have cats now but when I did a squirt bottle was the best thing to use to train them .