Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 AM

everyone gets like stuck occasionally...

i keep a couple easy EASY blocks cut out & in my drawer ready to go, then when i am stuck, i do one of those...

usually, after i finish that one thing, i'm not so stuck anymore... and i wonder why i was stuck in the first place.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by loopywren
I understand for different reasons I have been the same.. but have you thought of hand sewing, I find watching the television and hand sewing very relaxing, don't plan too much just grab some fabric, whatever tools you need and off you go, doesn't matter what it is ......
I recently joined a quilting class and am learning to quilt the old fashioned way .... it's all by hand .... and I am finding it relaxing. What I have to "erase" from my mind is "this would be so much faster by machine." I am learning to relax and enjoy the hand piecing, hand QAYG process .. not even concerned about when of even if I will make my blocks into quilt or not. I'm just enjoying the process.

Try making some potholders or hot pads by hand ... maybe that will get you going.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:25 AM

Everyone goes through slumps. I've gotten some of the same comments that you have and I don't let it worry me anymore. Everyone has a passion. It isn't defined by a label such as quilter or sewer. It isn't defined by the number of finished projects. It is defined by your enjoyment. My favorite part of a project is always the beginning. The middle is busy work. Once the project is finished, that's great but by then I'm already starting something new. I'm sorry that you are stressed. Just give it time and don't let others stress you out more because you aren't in the sewing room.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 AM

I just wrote you a reply, but it erase before I could send it -

Don't listen to anyone but your quilters heart. If you don't have one already, put a comfortable chair in your sewing room. Go in there once or twice a week with a cup of hot coffe/tea/cocoa - touch your fabric, look at patterns - close the door and relax. Everyone deserves ME TIME

Check out the totorials on this site - Oma66 - posted a great tutorial http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-74134-1.htm

On a great method to sew 1/2 square triangles - I can't wait to try it. Play with your fabric.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 AM

I have that problem too. I find I am overwhelmed with all that I have to do in my life and job (very stressful). I also close down when it gets dark and can't do a thing. I take classes and get all inspired but never finish so I have lots of WIPs. I have no suggestions but I am trying to take one thing at a time. Fortunately my DH does not criticize my lack of "energy". If it bothers him that much he picks up the slack. I am blessed.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:50 AM

I have that problem too. I find I am overwhelmed with all that I have to do in my life and job (very stressful). I also close down when it gets dark and can't do a thing. I take classes and get all inspired but never finish so I have lots of WIPs. I have no suggestions but I am trying to take one thing at a time. Fortunately my DH does not criticize my lack of "energy". If it bothers him that much he picks up the slack. I am blessed.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 AM

Kelly - I feel your pain! Sounds like you're getting it from all sides! (Been there unfortunately) First repeat after me: I'm worth taking time for myself, even if I don't do ANYTHING!! Secondly, do you have any friends that sew, quilt, or do any type of hobby? Maybe you just need them to give you a "quick" call and say to you: get to your sewing room; or perhaps decide on a day of the week that come what may that's the day/evening you're going to go to your sewing room and close the door to keep the world out. (Put out a DO NOT DISTURB sign if you must!) Turn music on as high as it goes, or put on your MP3 player to keep the world at bay Tell yourself you're only going to do something for only 5 minutes - most of the time once you get started, you'll keep going. Also, on your long ride home put on some soothing/relaxing music to calm you, but the music you play in your sewing room should be "funky" and LOUD to get your blood going! Hope this helps you. Good luck!!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

I undersatand what you are saying. I know it is hard when you are working but what has always worked for me is to join a small group that meets once a week for 2 hours. It helps to motivate you to do something at least during that time. Then eventually you will want, once in a while, to work on the project at home when you can. I truely find that joining a group no matter how tired you are after work is a great motivator for those of us who work.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:22 AM

I hear you. I have the same problem, no energy at the end of the day except for reading, looking at my quilt books and magazines and day dreaming about what I would like to do. I have been to my doctor about my lack of energy and other things, and we are pursuing testing on that front. I have decided that since I like to to applique, I will cut out some patterns for small projects, like wall quilts, or something to hang in my cubicle at work. Somehow, smaller projects don't seem so daunting. And while I may not feel like sewing during the week, I know I can cut out my patterns and do hand-applique. Maybe you can keep your projects small for now as well, until you feel like doing something bigger. My fabric is in clear boxes and I do love looking at it, buying it, etc. Once I have my health at a better, more energtic level, I will tackle big projects. But for now, small is the way to go. Maybe that will work for you too.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:27 AM

If the quilting part of sewing is fairly new to you, perhaps you subconsciously doubt your ability to to do it just right. That sometimes stops me on a project. Just relax and enjoy the whole process. Tell yourself you can do it, and you will. Just enjoy it. Don't make it a "must do" type of thing