Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
get to Walmart >

get to Walmart

get to Walmart

Old 11-07-2010, 07:38 AM

It is one of those things that , "If it seems to be too good to be true, it most likely is"!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 AM

Walmart is doing away with cutting stations. When new stores are built or old ones renovated, the cutting stations will be replaced with a selection of pre-cuts/packaged. Ugh! I hate it. Rumor I heard is that Sam's wife was a seamstress and insisted on the cutting stations. When she passed away corporate (in typical bean-counter fashion) decided they could increase profits by eliminating people needed to cut and maintain that area. One of our stores has already been remodeled. I've heard the other is soon to follow.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 AM

My Wally has had $5.00 bolts for about a month. I think they're trying to fill in till they redecorate in Feb. when they drop the bolt fabric. I've picked up a couple of bolts that were pretty good and cost came out to $1.00/yard. Most of it was junky.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:47 AM

Most of the Wally-worlds in TX have no fabric!! That's OK with me since it was always a cheap fabric.If I'm going to put hours of work in something, I'll use good fabric!
Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 AM

Our local Wally World has had the bolts for a few months now but it's not good quality at all and ugly choices.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:35 AM

Gal that lives down the street told me they had $5 bolts at the Avon Indiana store this week.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:27 AM

Our Walmart used to have a fairly nice selection of material on the $2 table. Those 5yd for $5 things are so cheap I wouldn't touch them!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:36 AM

can't the cheap fabric at wm be used in chenille? I've never done that, but wouldn't think it would matter what quality the fabric is or even the content. Let me know what you think.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

My wally world has it too but they are really thin, so I didn't get any. They are selling the whole bolt (what's left on it) for $5.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
Walmart is doing away with cutting stations. When new stores are built or old ones renovated, the cutting stations will be replaced with a selection of pre-cuts/packaged. Ugh! I hate it. Rumor I heard is that Sam's wife was a seamstress and insisted on the cutting stations. When she passed away corporate (in typical bean-counter fashion) decided they could increase profits by eliminating people needed to cut and maintain that area. One of our stores has already been remodeled. I've heard the other is soon to follow.
Old news ... but still a bunch of us (disgruntled quilters) are VERY upset about it. My daughter travels to WM corporate two or three times a year. A couple years ago when this was such an uproar, I asked her to see what she could find out. When she was in a meeting with some of the powers-that-be, she asked what was going on with fabrics. The buyer that she deals with pointed out the person who made the decision to get rid of fabric. It was a man, of course. She briefly spoke with him and he said (with a wide grin) that it was an easy decision since fabric was taking up too much valuable space and "was no longer an asset to the company as a whole.":roll::roll: (As an aside ... most stores that I see have used that "valuable space" by expanding automotive or sporting goods.) I just think that Sam Walton must be turning over in his grave to see what his business has become. :-o