Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pain in the neck >

Pain in the neck

Pain in the neck

Old 11-07-2010, 11:35 AM

I love Thermawraps--they are kind of arched so they cover the whole neck area and last for up to 8 hours at a time. That kind of long term heat gets really deep into the muscles. I have fibromyalgia and this helps immensely. I also use capsacian if I run out of thermawraps, but it gets really hot since its made from hot peppers so use gloves to put it on and as they say buyer beware.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin amma
I love Thermawraps--they are kind of arched so they cover the whole neck area and last for up to 8 hours at a time. That kind of long term heat gets really deep into the muscles. I have fibromyalgia and this helps immensely. I also use capsacian if I run out of thermawraps, but it gets really hot since its made from hot peppers so use gloves to put it on and as they say buyer beware.
I've often wondered how the therawraps worked. Thanks, I think I'll follow your idea.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Get a massage to relax. Take frequent breaks. Notice how your shoulders behave. If they "ride up" force them down. Shoulders do not belong by the ears.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by magpie
Debbie Umphress sells a machine lifter, (if your machine is not fitted into a table) it tilts the machine so that your neck and head stays at a natural angle. Try door stops or something that can tilt the machine. Here's the link for Debbie. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-69533-1.htm
The door stops work great. I use them all the time. Only 97 cents at Walmart.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 AM

I personally take a break every time I change the bobbin or sooner if needed. Remember to keep your shoulders relaxed. Lean from the hips, not your neck and shoulders. :D
Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 PM

Lots of good tips. Massage lightly, rub in Glenalgesic. It smells very strong but works wonders. Can use heating pad with it. Do not add right after bathing, it will burn like crazy for a few minutes when your pores are open.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the link
Old 11-07-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Get a massage to relax. Take frequent breaks. Notice how your shoulders behave. If they "ride up" force them down. Shoulders do not belong by the ears.
You're absoluetly right. My Dr. explained that when a person is in pain, they automatically or naturally try to 'defend' the area that is in pain. That's why those of us with fibromyalgia hunch our shoulders and also try to protect our chests because within those areas are many of the spots that cause us so much pain. The problem is, we don't realize we're hunching all up until we've been that way for awhile. When it becomes unbearable, we think, 'oh yeah - relax!! :-) Usually by then it's too late.
I also use the doorstops under my machine, a tip which I gleaned from this board. A great idea.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Sherrie, I have a piece of wood my husband gave to me. Nothing fancy----it's the width of my sewing machine 15" by2'' and about 3/4" high. I tuck it under the rear of my machine just enough to raise it to a comfortable level I guess you could cover it but I never have. It does the job at no expense. I don't need fancy shmancy just something to make it easier on by shoulders and back. Good luck - peterparley
Old 11-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Dkm

I know what you mean. I have this problem of when I start quilting I can't seem to stop. I think I get it in my head the harder I work the sooner I finish. That leads to the sore neck and back, then I have to take time to recover. Time lost on working on something else.LOL