Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finishing Quilts >

Finishing Quilts

Finishing Quilts

Old 11-07-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
My grandma has been quilting since the 80's? Maybe longer. I have no idea. Sometimes she is really into it. Other times she looses interest and doesn't quilt for months at a time. She completes all her little projects. Table toppers, hot pads, wall hangings and such. But her quilts are all just tops. She says she likes to piece them but not quilting. A few months ago we were talking about it and I had her pull them out. She had so many beautiful tops all packed away. She said the fun was putting them together. And she is ok with the fact that she is never going to use them or finish them. it gave her hours of entertainment and enjoyment and she's ok with them sitting.
Good for her. If that is what she likes to do God Bless Her.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Before I got a longarm I used Marti Michell's book to quilt in sections. It made it possible to quilt large quilts without feeling that I was wrestling with an elephant. And no, it is not the same as QAYG.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 PM

I can explain why I have quilts that need quilting - I don't enjoy that part as much as I do the piecing. Maybe others feel that way too. I get a few tops done, some even put together with the backs. Then I make myself do the quilting part. Funny thing is, it never seems as bad to do as I thought it would.... ha ha ha
Old 11-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I usually finish all my quilts before starting another, only time I don't, if someone needs a quilt, I always finish my quilts myself.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by tuesy
I try to do a quilt from start to finish. I only have one that I need to quilt (don't like it anymore, so it's outta sight, outta mind)
Believe it or not, my favorite thing to do is the binding. Don't know why either.
I know why. It means you're almost done! :D :D :D
Old 11-07-2010, 04:41 PM

that is the part i like best it makes me feel great knowing a have completed yet another quilt and can get started on another
Old 11-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ranger
I do all mine from beginning to end. I now have 7 tops that need to be quilted. Why aren't they done, you ask? I can't stand the actual quilting and I can't afford to send them out. I WILL quilt them....but it will take a while to psych myself into it. I won't be making any new tops until those are quilted so I will soon have to get started...maybe tomorrow, right?

I do mostly queen-size quilts. I do Stitch in the ditch (SITD gives me problems...you'd never think that it would be so difficult to keep the stitch 'in the ditch'), some quilting around templates, fancy machine stitches and echo quilting, all on my small Brother machine. Wrestling big quilts through that little machine is doable but takes a long time. It was only last year that I got a walking foot..don't know how I did any quilting without it. I would love to do meandering. I can manage it on small pieces but big quilts give me trouble. Takes lots of practice to get it right.

Most of my quilts are for gifts or for myself. I make quilts because it gives me a creative outlet, and it makes me feel good to give them to others.

I do have my Postage Stamp one sandwiched, ready to go, so maybe I should head to the sewing area,(aka my dining room corner),and get started on the quilting.

Happy Quilting to all. Have a great day!!!
What is a Postage Stamp quilt? Is it random small squares? If so, how large are the squares?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:07 PM

I do longarm quilting and I do not see why people charge so much. I can understand if it is for a show and it takes a lot of time but somehing edge to edge or meandering or even turning the borders. People tell me I need to go up on my prices, but in this economy people just cannot afford it.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I agree, I can't afford to send all mine out. After the holidays I've got 2 to quilt. I'm not great but I will do my best. I think the more I do the better I will get. I won't know unless I get in there and do it. Happy Quilting!
I totally agree here, but the thing is I have to let my body heal after I've done a quilt on my domestic machine. I know that part of the problem is my posture and another problem is that my set up is not exactly great. My sewing table has a well for my machine but when I use it, the machine is too far back. So I put the machine on top and pull is closer to me. By the time I've finished with the quilting, my neck, shoulders, back and right hip are in lots of pain. I've done two quilts in the last two weeks....and I'm really in pain. Now, I'll have to heal before I can even think of doing another one. But, I do have a lot of piecing to do, so I can still stay busy.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:20 PM

I agree with that. I have been told that it is best to send them out to be finished. When I asked the price, I was told you can get them done as cheap as $70.00. Sorry, I don't have $70.00 to have a quilt finished. So I am learning by myself with books, videos and magazines. And as long as I have found someone who has made a lot of quilts could you answer my question.

I bought a quilting foot from the sewing machine store, along with a darning foot. I used the quilting foot and it worked fine for the first five rows and then started clunking, it even disabled my pressure foot, the stitching was knotted on the back and then the bottom of the quilting foot came off. I am supposed to bring it into the store tomorrow but now I am wondering if a worn needle that I have used for regular sewing should have been changed to a new "quilting" size needle. Just wondered if this could have caused that and what size needle is the best size to use for stitching in the ditch. Thanks and I agree with you about doing the quilts yourself. Pauline