Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pain in the neck >

Pain in the neck

Pain in the neck

Old 11-07-2010, 04:13 PM

Epson salts bath!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Take frequent brakes and make sure your work area is comfortable.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:33 PM
mac

I also have a ruptured disk in my neck and working too long can make me sore for a long time. I use a lot of the same techniques that everyone else uses here on the board. My physical therapist also said that when you sew you should not only keep your spine in line with your head, but you should also move the top of your body forward along with your sewing rather than just extending your arms. She said this puts less stress on your shoulders. I have to keep remembering this - old habits are so hard to break.

Another product to use for aches and pains is called: Arnicare Gel. It is a homeopathic product and you can find it at Whole Foods, CVS Pharmacy or at health food stores. It doesn't smell and isn't greasy. When you put it on you'll suddenly realize hours later that you don't hurt anymore.

It is good for use on bruises, it makes them go away a lot faster. By accident I also found out that it was great on burns. I was holding an old style travel iron, the kind that the handle folds down and the handle slipped out of position and it folded over and burned my arm pretty badly. I put the Arnicare Gel on it right away and the pain from the burn was immediately gone. The burn also seemed to heal faster. Now I keep a tube of it in my sewing bag and offer it to my sewing friends at the Senior Center when they start to complain about soreness.

I hope you feel better soon. Take care.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:48 PM

Here's a few feel good movements (so much better than calling them exercises/stretches) that I've used when I've overdone it at something I enjoyed way too much:

1 -- Lift one arm up to shoulder level and cross it over your chest. Use the other hand to grasp it at the elbow and gently pull it closer to your body. Hold for several seconds, then repeat on the other side.

2 -- Go stand in the corner! I mean it. Then put your hands up at shoulder level against the two walls, fingers of each hand pointing toward the other hand (this raises your elbows up and rotates the shoulder joint) and do a few "push ups" from the wall. You will have to figure out how far away from the corner to stand so you can comfortably do these pushaways.

3 -- Get a plastic jug with a handle that's comfortable to hold and put some water into it (I use gallon milk jugs). Stand near a counter or a wall to support yourself. Lean forward and let the hand holding the jug dangle, drawing circles in the air with it.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:09 PM

Location: Born in Washington State. Been in California since 1968.

I have seen little fabric harnesses in the quilting magazines/catalogues for a cotton harness-like deal apparatus that you wear (apparently) under your clothing to pull your shoulders back. I THINK I saw it in the Clothilde catalogue. Maybe that would help. I get back pain, too, from sitting at the machine for a long time.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 PM

Five straight hours is much too long - take stretching breaks frequently and rotate your shoulders and head to loosen up in between.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 PM

Five straight hours is much too long - take stretching breaks frequently and rotate your shoulders and head to loosen up in between. Oh yeh, sit up straight with shoulders back.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Location: Born in Washington State. Been in California since 1968.

Drink lots of water too. Believe it or not, a person becomes very dehydrated when working with fabrics. The fabrics can really take the moisture away from you.

On the topic of drinking adequate amounts of water. I have a grandson with severe kidney disease. His mom told me the doctor tells her most people don't drink enough water and many go around dehydrated. She suggested checking the color of your urine. The darker it is, the more you need water. It should be quite light in color. Maybe this is a little gross, but most of us are moms and can stand a lot worse that looking in the potty at the color. (giggle)
Old 11-07-2010, 06:19 PM

Every hour, get up and stretch and move around. Also have ergonomically positioned chair, table and machine - minimises the problem.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by LeeAnn
I have the same problem. I take breaks often. Also, when you're sitting at your machine take a momement and pull your shoulders down to stretch them. I have a tendency to pull my shoulders up and they get very tense. I know it's miserable and frustrating not to mention the pain.
Sherrie...
Shrug your shoulders up and down and roll them forward and backwards and your neck too.But gently.Also like the others say take frequent breaks for at least five min at a time.

PLUS...LeAnn
I just have to know where you got your design for your avitar quilt.Please may I have the address to purchase it? :lol:
I am in LOVE :lol: