Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilts >

Charity Quilts

Charity Quilts

Old 11-07-2010, 07:46 PM

I do lots of charity quilts for several local organizations...both for kids and adults. I have made about 50 to date this year. It feels good to do something charitable and reduces my stash at the same time.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:55 PM

Prayers & Squares
Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 PM

I like to send charity quilts to Lisa at the Central Ohio Binky Patrol. Lisa takes the time to write a thank you and I know a real person identifies with my work. That encourages me to find the time to do more. I have donated quilts to other organizations that barely acknowledge the effort.
We all know the time and commitment that goes into even the
simplest design.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 PM

I do quilts for kids and fleece & quilts for local cancer unit. The fleece we do 60 X 60 and pillow case them instead of tying, the ties can get in the way of IV's tubes etc.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
I do charity quilts for many organizations. Linus, Wrap-a-Smile, Quilts of Valor, Home of the Brave, etc. My latest quilts are for children staying with their Mothers in the local shelter for battered women. We do this at Christmas each year. I have a 17 yr.old boy and a 14 yr. old girl this year.
I also make quilts for Wrap-a-Smile. I am sewing with Gail on about 2000 nine patch blocks in memory of Bev. Sewing our hearts out!! I love it.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:12 PM

I'm doing them in conjunction with our local quilt club. 5 completed so far in the last two months since I joined.

Great causes all - just wish I could do as many as are needed in our local area. I do only two at a time (one being pieced and one being quilted)- because I need to get them done and out the door ASAP!

This is a great group for helping out, though! They keep me inspired!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:22 PM

I am with "Quilts for Giving". We make and donate quilts to the local hospital pediatrics ward, Hospice for cancer patients,the local pregnancy center, the local battered women's shelter and if we have enough we also take to the local nursing homes. We try to do at least 600 a year and I chose to join this group as everything is donated locally.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:59 AM

i give quilts to cancer clubs and to missions for the states also any one that needs a pick up iy is very easy to find a need
Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by karenchi
How many on this board do this....I belong to Quilts for Kids.
Yes, I have made 5 so far. Will do more after the Holidays. I also knit and sew for CHOP (Childrens Hospital of Pennsylvania). I got a very nice thank you from CHOP telling me how they put some of the premie hats and blankets in their bereavement closet for families to use to bid good-bye to their infants. I fought back the tears at that one. It is so gratifying to know we are bringing joy to sick kids.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:01 AM

I do at least 2/year for my guild, plus small quilts for the neonatal center. The neonatal center takes really small quilts so its a great way to use "orphan" blocks, just add a border to get them up to at least 12 in and add a binding, you're done. I also do walker bags for Mom's nursing home patients.