Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Very Best Things About Sewing >

The Very Best Things About Sewing

The Very Best Things About Sewing

Old 11-07-2010, 04:09 AM

I have been wondering why I feel like quilting and sewing so much lately. I guess it is all the stress in my life. It makes you feel good to accomplish and create.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:26 AM

My favoriate memory is with my "step grandmother". This was back in the 50's. I was about 5 years old. My step dad would clear out her dining room every year after Christmas. The he would set up some boards of which I had no idea for what they were used. All of a sudden all these woman would sit in chairs and sew on this big cloth. One year I ask them what was going on. My grandmother told me about the "blanket" I liked to cover up with when I took a nap, and how all these ladies made it. Of course the blanket was a quilt. Then she ask me if I would like to learn. That was my very first experience with quilting. Every year I sat with the ladies, feeling very grown up and making little stitches. I didn't talk because children were to be seen and not heard, but I loved every minute. When I was 12, we moved away and until I was in my 50, quilting never entered my life. When it did, all the memories flooded back in and I remembered how happy I was being allowed to sit with the ladies as we did our little stitches. Every time I go in my quilting room, these happy memories return. Only now do I know how much pleasure all those ladies had each time they sat around all those boards.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:35 AM

my mom did know how to sew, but she got us involved w/ 4-H and that is where i learned to sew. My grandmother quilted, so i find it kinda cool that even though i never met this woman, I am following in her footsteps. My next quilt is using pieces that my grandmother cut out and turning it into a beautiful quilt to give to my mother. That day I can't wait to see the look on my mom's face when she sees it.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:57 AM

Stitching and quilting has always been my sanity saver. Whether I am tired, sad or upset, it is a time to sit, unwind and regain some energy and clarity for what lies ahead. When I was deep in grief after losing my parents in such a short time, stitching on quilts from scraps of fabric from home really helped me work things through. An added bonus is the "Memories of Home" quilts that I have created, one for each of my sisters and myself. My sewing is a huge part of who I am and is something that I can share with others.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:12 AM

my Grannie sewed. I guess it was her peace too since she worked all day in a cotton mill making bedspreads and then came home at night and sewed on stuff for her. She taught me to sew and while as far as I know she only made one quilt she inspired me. And Mortymnts I love the way your mother described sewing! Its my best friend too!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:19 AM

That's awesome!

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by Iluv2quilt
My favorite memories are spending time 'til the wee hours of the morning stitching clothes with my Grama's Singer on their back porch in the Summertime. Boy I sure miss them, thanks for bringing those memories back :-D .
I remember rolling tobacco with my Grandpa....but I guess that was a different hobby. lol
Old 11-07-2010, 06:29 AM

I have always enjoyed sewing, making clothing for myself and my daughter. It was my outlet, what made me feel I had "worth". But one of the things that I was so proud of was sewing for my son. He had bought his first car, an old MD midget. The insides were in shambles, but he was so proud. No money to buy new seats or even seat covers , and the stuffing was coming out of the original. For his birthday I had him remove the seats, frame and all, and I carefully removed the old leather and foam, ripped apart seams, cut out patterns and proceeded to make him new seats . I used my Featherweight! Then we cut and glued down new carpet. He was so proud of those seats, and all his friends would come by and inspect what I was doing, and they all thought I was just the coolest, most clever mom in the world. Rick was 16 then, and now at 53, he still talks about me making those seats And he believes there isn't anything mom can't do with a sewing machine!! Actually, all my kids think that, and at times they really push the limits!LOL
Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Although my mom was a sewer and made lots of clothes, she was not a quilter. I started quilting after I retired and found it to be just wonderful. My eight year old granddaughter make her first complete block yesterday and it was a very great feeling to see this accomplishment and the joy she had with her work. Just love it.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:13 PM

Us younger kids would roll and tie the quilts the older girls would cut out squares for mom and mom would sew, sew and sew some more. My Mom made over 100 quilts one year and every one in family got one at the time it was 11 kids 59 gran kidss 23 great grand. this was several years ago but I still have mine. She passed away but her quilts live on and we had a great time helping her.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 PM

My story is quite different! I had never touched a sewing machine until 5 years ago. Nobody in my family ever owned a sewing machine, not grandmothers, mothers, not anyone. When I found out I was having a girl, I decided to learn to sew. My amazing mother in law taught me. I'm soooo lucky to have such a special woman in my life. She and I are closer than my own mother and I. We are very much alike. I am so thankful that she taught me to sew, it's changed my life and brought me such happiness!