Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one??? >

Am I the only one???

Am I the only one???

Old 11-09-2010, 03:01 AM

Until they move back home. Two of mine have been in and out, and now my oldest daughter looks to be here permanently. That's okay, because in the past I have done what you all have talked about. I have used a bedroom, set up a space in the basement.... Now I have my own little room off the dining room. I love being downstairs among the action, but also love that I don't have to clean everything up when I am finished for the day. If I had to haul everything out and put it back at the end of a sewing session. I would never sew. But even though it is "my sewing room" Seems like when there is something someone needs to store, or they don't know what to do with, it ends up in mom's sewing room. If I could clear all that other stuff out of there I could probably move around a bit more. I am not neat whether it is sewing, cooking, dressing, etc. So not having to clean up after myself everytime I decide to turn on the machine, is wonderful.. But at least once a month it gets so nasty in there I have to clean so I can work in relative peace. In fact this am was just looking for a pattern I know I saw on the sewing machine table a few days ago, but didn't take the time to store it in the binder that I have for all those patterns, and now cannot find it... Oh well it will turn up eventually.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:48 AM

Your not alone---when my kids were at home, I had a small corner of the bedroom with my machine on an adjustable ironing board. After the kids grew up, one of their bedrooms became the laundry room, the other (spare bedroom for when a kid came home) plus my storage area.
About 10 years ago hubby decided he wanted me closer, so he bought a sewing desk which he installed in the living room, told me if someone comes and doesn't like it, they can go home. Not a lot of extra room in the living room, but it is nice to sew where he is.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:01 AM

Yes I have the same problem I use my dining room table and my kitchen bar for a cutting table, but I have a love of quilting so thats just what I do. :thumbup:
Old 11-09-2010, 04:04 AM

You are definitely not alone. Been there, done that, sewed up a storm on the coffee table for years. Though I have a dedicated studio (my son's living room) and enjoy it. The funny part is that while I have a good-sized room, with design wall large enough for a big quilt......I still spread out to two other rooms! And then have to clean it all up before anyone comes. My son hung curtains in the archways so that people coming in would not see into the work room. Too funny.

Hang in there and keep sewing and quilting!!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:13 AM

You're not the only one...I use my family room as my "main" sewing area, although I use the kitchen, dining room, another bedroom, etc. I didn't realize it would take so much space when I became interested in quilting a few months ago. I'm one of those people who like everything in its place all the time and when you quilt, that's just not possible. I also love vintage machines and have a small collection, which means there's sewing machines in every room.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:25 AM

I know exactly how you feel.
Until I moved 5 years ago and got my own sewing room, I had to keep all my quilting supplies upstairs in the attic. Whenever I had a day off, I would climb up those dozen steps at least a dozen times to bring everything down to my bedroom to sew. And of course I had to haul it all back up to the attic at the end of the day. It sure wore mighty thin!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

For years I used the corner of the kitchen table. Now the children are gone and I have a bedroom to use.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:53 AM

I used to have that problem. Now, I have a lot more room but still have it scattered all over the house because one room won't hold it all. Keep your hopes up. Maybe some day you can build an extra room onto your house!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:54 AM

Been there, done that too!! Back in the early 70's we lived in a split foyer house with the lower level almost underground. Very dark..that was the family room. I had my trusty old Kenmore in the cabinet sitting under the only window down there. My son had 250 of those little rubber Army men lined up on the window sill and all around my sewing machine. Every day I had to remove his "army" so I could sew. I had shelves built under the stairs for my "stuff". But I also didn't have as much then...no cutting mat, no rotary cutter, no rulers and not nearly as many gadgets as I do now. I cut pieces at the dining room table, then hauled everything back downstairs to my "studio". I basted my quilts on that ugly shag carpeting which had to be picked off the back before it could be quilted. Then it was back upstairs to be hand quilted in a hoop because of the better lighting. The good old days :lol: :lol: . Now the whole house is mine, all mine except for the dog and two cats of course!! So have patience, your time will come. It only took 40 years to get to this point.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:06 AM

I too know how you feel, I have a little storage room to sew in (just enough room to sit at the machine). All my cutting etc is done in the dining room. Fabric is stored in plastic boxes in the shed! We have our Granddaughter living with us so she has the spare room. Hopefully in the near future she will move out then I will have a sewing room. I bought a craft table a while ago, I haven't taken it out of the box yet as I have nowhere to set it up!