Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hi! I'm Stephanie or CruisingStef and I need your help >

Hi! I'm Stephanie or CruisingStef and I need your help

Hi! I'm Stephanie or CruisingStef and I need your help

Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 PM

Hi we make lap quilts for hospitals and what we use to line them with is the draw sheet hospitals use on the beds to turn people, I just asked the hospitals laundry what they did with some of their replacement draws and they give me a trunk load, cleaned, white and in great shape just the right size and they hold up in the laundry at hospitals or nursing homes, because they are not at all careful with quilts etc. new to the group gingersnaps
Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 PM

After spending some time in a wheel chair while recovering from leg surgery, I found that a lap robe is great but you still get cold from the back of your legs. I now make fleece robes for those times when patients have to go out in the colder weather. (Doctor appts, shopping, etc) Its just a square of fleece that is made similar to a skirt without a waist band and a full length open end zipper. The robe is placed in the chair with the zipper unzipped and then after the patient is transferred into the chair(sitting on the upper part) the robe is closed and zipped up the front. No more draft from the back. Size of the robe depends on the size of the person.
I also like the idea of the snuggy foot idea from Gail-r in Utah.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 PM

I make lap quilts for a nursinghome. Mine are the width of the fabric by about 45. I didn't piece them, just quilted some fabric that someone donated to the NH. I furnished the stuffing and backing. I used thin poly batting and bias binding. I did a bunch while I was learning how to use my longarm. They aren't anything to rave about but I know the little old people will appreciate them. I also round the corners. Used a lot of muslin for backing and any solid color fabric I could find like at garage sales and thrift shops.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:10 PM

When we made some for our local nursing home we made them 36" by 42", we also put a little tab with velcro on each side so they were easy to keep on there laps, check with the nursing home to see what they require as to the ability to be able to wash them we tied ours with colorful floss
Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by CruisingStef
I have decided to donate my quilts to the nursing home where DH is staying. I plan on making lap quilts but I'm stuck in a rut.
How do I know what size to make? Just guess? Make one and use DH as my model as to the size I need for the quilt? And how much batting do I need to use? Some of the residents are cold ALL the time/ some are HOT all the time. What type of batting do I use? help
Hi Stephanie! I make some things just to donate to the church nursery. I use a cotton top and a flannel backing, or sometimes, flannel and flannel...if it is on sale. When I use flannel I don't generally use batting. If I feel it needs an extra layer I look for a flannel sheet, or very lightweight blanket from Goodwill.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 AM

Hello from Arkansas. That is a very kind and loving thing you are doing. How is your DH and may I ask what happened to him? Give him a hug from your new quilting friends and hope everything goes well for him. However big you make them, I'm sure they will love and appreciate them.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 AM

My ASG makes lap quilts for our local nursing home. They liked the 36" x 42" to 46". We used flannel for backing cause that's all we had at the time. THe home loved them because they didn't slide off their laps. They didn't like ties cause they come undone too easily. We now do all tops with just a flannel back.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 AM

I'm overwhelmed with all the wonderful replies! I will use colorful tops with flannel backing, and no ties. For residents who are always cold, I plan on using warm and natural batting, none for those who are not. Nursing home can decide. Like everyone of you have said in one way or another, no matter what size I make they will appreciate it.
I'm trying to get away from that pre-determined look of solid blue flannel blankets to friendlier, happier welcoming quilts that are are personally made.

One more question: Does anyone have any ideas of how to sign these quilts? How do you sign yours before donating them?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:08 AM

Hi Stepnanie,
Thanks a very special thing to do.
We have some old end of bolt fabrics that we
would like to donate to you if you think you can
use it. Do you have a color preference?

Sandy
www.this-n-thatfabrics.com
Old 11-10-2010, 07:43 AM

Our guild uses small simple computer generated fabric labels with just the logo of our guild printed on them.