Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Horrible Quilting Class >

Horrible Quilting Class

Horrible Quilting Class

Old 11-09-2010, 02:45 PM

You all have to move to Connecticut! I've had really good experiences here. You always find some "quirky" people, and there is always one very "needy" person in every class, but generally the quilters here are really super people!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:40 PM

oh too bad
Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 PM

As a quilting instructor for my city's neighborhood recreation centers, I would like to remind everyone that quilt shops are not the only place to get good classes. The main reason I quit teaching out of local shops was because they always wanted me to sell, sell, sell instead of teach. Check with your rec centers and find out their class schedules...and most of the class fee's are far less expensive. Meaning you have more money to spend on fabric. ;-)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 PM

I have been fortunate that I have had good classes. BUT it does annoy me to no end that people show up to a quilting class and don't know how to thread their machine or change a foot. A quilting class is not the place to learn about your machine, take a introduction to sewing class for that.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:14 PM

I had the same experience at a Hancock's quilting class. When the teacher was asked a question about the pattern of a particular quilt, she admitted that the quilts were made by other people, in fact, she didn't quilt. At that statement, my friend and I got up and walked out. We stayed in the shop a few minutes, and all the others came walking out, looking disappointed.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:52 PM

One of the requirements to work at my LQS is that you 1. know how to sew. 2. have a basic knowledge of quilting.
You don't need to be an expert just basic knowledge. There are enough people in the store who know the machines (which every one learns stuff about and how to use). The owner of the shop concentrates on the Blinds end of the business. They offer a variety of classes, and I've never been disapointed. At the Joanns I use to work at, they can't keep a quilting teacher to save their lives, they don't pay well and people just don't sign up