Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
had to buy a new iron >

had to buy a new iron

had to buy a new iron

Old 11-11-2010, 07:51 AM

I'm on my second Rowenra and still do not like it, and yes it shuts off before I can sit down, sew a seam, and get back up to press! I also had an Oliso and it died in less than a year and it was expensive. Next iron will be a cheapy.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:01 AM
mac

I bought an Oliso and found it awkward to use. The up and down thing was so annoying, but I figured that I would get used to it over time. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance, about the third time I used it I smelled burning wires. The iron just upped and died right there and then. I purchased it from "Create for Less" and they took it back. Decided not to buy another one.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
Originally Posted by littlehud
Is that the one they use on Fons and Porter?
Don't know. Fons & Porter seems to be a little out of my league.
yes, they use it. I have one, and it is great. no lifting, just leave it down and it raises itself, so no scorching.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by BethD
I have the Oliso and absolutely love it. The 30 minute shut-off and not having to stand it up are great features!
Beth, I may have to try one of these. 30 min shut off would be great. Thanks from another Beth
Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 AM

I have a classic black and decker.
the last time I used it, the water got so hot that it boiled out and ran over my hand.
I cussed words I didn't know I had in me.

Has this ever happened to any of you?

(otherwise, I love the iron)
Old 11-11-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Originally Posted by BRenea
I had two Euro Pro Shark irons that I loved but they both eventually quit working. When I went to buy a new iron my top choices were Oliso and Reliable...bought the Reliable on sale and love it!
Where did you find the Reliable brand ?? haven't seen it here -
I ordered mine from Nancy's Notions...was lucky enough to get it a while back on sale with reduced shipping!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:59 AM
mac

I have solved the problem of needing an automatic shut-off on my iron by plugging it into a wall plug that shuts off when you shut the light off in the room. I’ve never left my iron over night ever again. It is so annoying to have to wait for the iron to heat up each time you get up to use it. It got to the point that I was spending more time waiting for the iron to heat than I was ironing.

Regarding the Rowenta irons…
My first one lasted about 25 years it was great until DH dropped it then it leaked. I’ve purchased 2 Rowenta’s since then and they started leaking within a year or 2. My MIL also bought one and it leaked within a year’s time. That with all of the others on this site with complaints about leakage from this iron makes me a firm believer to NEVER buy another Rowenta again. Too bad, they used to be such a good iron.

The iron I am using now is a cordless Oreck. I can’t recommend a cordless iron either, as they are always heating themselves up. You iron for a minute or two and they need to go back onto the pedestal to reheat. More waste of time. Unfortunately, I put my other iron away and I can’t figure out where I put it. I’m worried that I took it to a sewing class or a retreat and left it there. So until I find my old iron I am stuck with the Oreck.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:25 AM

I have a Rowenta and it now sticks to everything. Also the Auto shut-off irritates me. I found a teflon sole plate iron for 2.00 at a yard sale. Looks new and I love it. Price doesn't always show what is best.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:00 AM

i also bought a $100 Rowenta and it leaked so ended up buying a cheap one from walmart. BUT then i bought a Rowenta that has a separate tank where you put the water and you press a button for steam. had it for approx 8 yrs. the base doesn't sit on the ironing board - sometimes it's tricky to get it to sit up b/c of the steam cord but overall i'm pleased with it. it was expensive - $350 but at least it doesn't spit
Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
i also bought a $100 Rowenta and it leaked so ended up buying a cheap one from walmart. BUT then i bought a Rowenta that has a separate tank where you put the water and you press a button for steam. had it for approx 8 yrs. the base doesn't sit on the ironing board - sometimes it's tricky to get it to sit up b/c of the steam cord but overall i'm pleased with it. it was expensive - $350 but at least it doesn't spit
I also have the stream generated iron. I am like you, a little hard to get to stand up but, I don't have to wait for it to reheat. They really have a great steam output. The only thing about them is they take a little longer to heat up when you first plug it in. But boy do we have a water storage on them.

FREE Quilting Newsletter