Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 AM

As a "newbie" to quilting, I bought the Alto QuiltCut. It was very expensive. But it was a complete failure and I finally put it away in the attic.. I even put it in a "Quilter's Garage Sale" and no one would buy it. In Houston, they tried to sell me another gadget that would make it work better and fix all the problems. I passed on it.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Worst purchase ever - Martelli ergonomic rotary cutters! Bought both sizes and both broke within a month.

Gypsy grippers for rulers - more trouble than they are worth INHO.
The first ones that came out were molded with a split down the center and had a black handle, the new ones have red handles and are molded solid. I've used these for seven years and wouldn't use anything else. I do a major amount of cutting and they have saved my hands tremendously since they are truly ergonomic. If you send the cutter back to the company, they will replace it. They stand behind their products.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by judytudy
The best pounce is the one you make. I used a square of fabric, filled it with Cinnamon, tied it with twine and pounce away. It smells good while you are using it too. It doesn't stay on too long so don't pounce the stencil all at once. It comes out if you don't get it wet, it sometimes comes out before you are done quilting but that's the reason you don't use the entire stencil at once.
"back in the day"....they used flour also. maybe flour with a little cinnamon would be cheaper to use, and still smell nice!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tracy50
The Clover mini iron was a purchase I thought was useless until I found out the iron has to be turned on and brought to high heat several times before it will reach max temp. After preheating the iron six or more times it gets very hot every time now and works great Same goes for some flat and curling irons for hair. Electricity acts the way it wants to. :lol:
I purchased this iron to take when we went camping. Out in the woods, far away from any hospital or anything cept for a country store...I found out the hard way that this little iron gets "extremely hot!" I wasn't looking and grabbed it around the metal part just below the iron and above the plastic and burned my hand so badly it blistered immediately and I had nothing to put on it except for a fan to blow on it! That was one of the worst weekends I had before or since! I tried to sell it at my yard sale for $5.00, and no one would even buy it! I still have it, so if anyone wants it, pay shipping and it's yours!
I really hate that iron! (and I try not to hate anything!)

*quilty hugs*

t[/quote]

thanks for telling this - i'll have to heat up my clover mini - i really do like it for taking to classes by the wy - if you use a pint jar to "rest" it in instead of the little thingie that comes with it - you stand less of a chance to grab it where it hurts
Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Earleen
Try the hunting and fishing sections W.M.they have great plastic boxes with adjustable compartments and seem stronger than others. Love the ones I got. You can make small sectioins or larger ones and they close tightly.
Originally Posted by tucsonquilter
I bought a plastic bobbin keeper case and the lid broke off it within days. But my two favorite notions are my magnetic pin holder (I LOVE THAT) and the non slip gloves. What a differnce in holding the material when you have arthritus in your hands.
i found some fantastic plastic storage cases in the hunting/fishing department at walmart - the ones at Keepsake Quilting were VERY expensive.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 AM

I have the newer small iron, it is lt. blue and triple the size of the clover mini iron. it shuts off on it's own too..it has a built in stand, and i really like it.

i just can't remember the name of it..Joanns sells it.

the donut shaped bobbin holder is the bomb! if it drops, they all stay in it. they run about $7.00 bucks i think. i have 2, one for all white, and the other for the less used colors..
Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gina_D
One thing I bought when I first started quilting was one of those suction cup things that are supposed to hold your ruler down while cutting. The sales person told me I had to have them. I've never used them; my hand works best for me.
I have a small round one of those holders and a long one for large rulers....I think they are really good.

The ruler with slots, probably a June Taylor.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 PM

Go to Wal Mart and purchase "Goo Gone" it works every time. It won't harm your machine, but it does have a smell to it. The smell goes away if you use rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball to clean up afterwards. Goo Gone is oily so be careful of holes and grooes when using it. I use this stuff to get sticky stuff off my marble tiles too.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Originally Posted by Gina_D
One thing I bought when I first started quilting was one of those suction cup things that are supposed to hold your ruler down while cutting. The sales person told me I had to have them. I've never used them; my hand works best for me.
Same here, I have a large size one and a smaller one. I never use them. spent a pretty penny on those things though!!!!
Yea and now you can buy the same thing just different color at Bed Bath and Beyond as a handle to use on the tub wall for 9.99
Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 PM

I would think that buying books, magazines, etc. for patterns is a waste of money when you can get tons of them right here on computer for free!