Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you make Bed Runners? >

Do you make Bed Runners?

Do you make Bed Runners?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Grann of 6 I worked full time for over 40 years so I'd have "too much time on my hands" now. I sew everyday-something I could never do before. I'm always willing to try a new pattern or fabric and making smaller items than quilts gives me this opportunity rather than making a larger quilt and not liking the pattern or fabric or technique. I think small items like table or bed runners are the perfect choice for this.
I understand. I raised 4 kids, worked for 20 years after they reached high school age and sewed for people at the same time. I am retired and living by myself except for the dogs, but between taking care of the house & yard, and babysitting whenever someone needs me, I don't have as much time as I would like. I have to be selective about the projects I choose. When I am not sewing for gifts for the family I am making quilts for charity so I rarely have time to just do something "frivolous". Maybe someday.....
Old 11-11-2010, 10:07 AM

Clotilde.com sells a book of bedrunner patterns for $7.95. You can either order the book or download the PDF version. Great patterns!
Here is the link:
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...ia=Bed+Runners
Hope you enjoy as much as I am.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
I'm seeing more patterns for bed runners, nice idea, see them in hotels all the time. Does anyone make them here? This would be a nice way to change the 'holiday' in your bedroom with a runner, maybe pillow shams to match... room done in blue? Do Christmas in blue snowflakes to add to the bedrm. We do this for table runners, never gave bed runners much thought before.
Anyone?
Yes, I have seen them. I have seen them called foot warmers or something like that, to be used at the bottom of the bed to keep your feet warm. Wouldn't work so well on my bed. My dogs think my bed is really theirs; and is just to much work to try to discourage a Great Dane and a Rottweiler mix from getting on the bed. During the day they lay there and guard the neighborhood. The Great Dane would use the bed runner as her own private quilt and ruin it. They do look like a neat idea for changing your decorating scheme. I have so many quilt ideas already that I don't think I need to be making bed runners.
This was an idea from someone who has big dogs, would work with any dogs or cats/pets. Sew them their OWN quilt, make it sized what you feel works for your pet. Use Denim, so it's 'nails' tough, and embroidery or special fabric could make it "pet" fun.
Someone made these for bird covers to their cages at night. One for a cover to the cat's tower, they like places to hide. One for a pillowed bed for the dog, then made a blankie for the dog who drags it with him when moving to another room. Also pet treats bags, or supply bag for brush, shampoo, toys. Fun ideas for pets.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 PM

I do make bed runners! I saw these all the time in when we lived in Europe and they struck me as the same length and width as a table runner for our "seats 12" dining set. After we returned to the States in 2004, I found the books "Toppers" and "Toppers 2" by Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith. These bed runners can easily be adapted to larger quilts, which appealed to me A LOT - buying books to build your library can get cost prohibitive unless they offer a true bang for your buck. I like the designs of these two books, which are inviting (not intimidating). The bed runners are a very easy way to switch the look of a room, and are more economical in time and money than a bed-sized quilt. See if you can get these book through your local library's inter-library loan program; if you like them, then pick them up at Amazon.com.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:24 PM

Now I know what I am going to do with the Christmas swaps that were smaller in quantity.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Bed runners are great - especially if you happen to have a bedspread that needs to be dry cleaned. Here's a tip - make it reversible so you have one for each month or season. I made shams and some small pillows to go along with them. It is a great way to practice on blocks that you think you might want to use in a larger quilt. Even made valances (again reversible) to go with it all.

Have a two year old grandson that thinks the runners are his size for laying on the bed...
Old 11-11-2010, 12:26 PM

I had to smile when I saw this question. I had never heard of bed runners until I saw something about them in a Connecting Threads book. THEN....I remembered that I had a Cathedral Window quilt that I started years ago but just didn't finish it. It is at least 90 inches long and about 24 inches wide and makes a wonderful bed runner. Now I really have a use for it. It looks great on the bed and gives your feet a little extra warmth. :lol:
Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by marykoch
Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
I'm seeing more patterns for bed runners, nice idea, see them in hotels all the time. Does anyone make them here? This would be a nice way to change the 'holiday' in your bedroom with a runner, maybe pillow shams to match... room done in blue? Do Christmas in blue snowflakes to add to the bedrm. We do this for table runners, never gave bed runners much thought before.
Anyone?
I made this one for a friend last year for Christmas.
This is beautiful, love the colors. It would work well in my bedroom.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:45 PM

I saw them in an upscale decorating shop. They had bed runners at the ends of the beds that matched bedding, drperies, etc. Must be high-end decor because a piece of fabric over a little batting cost $$$$.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM

I'm sure glad I joined this forum full of wonderful ideas. This is the first time I've heard of bed runners. What a great idea. It's definitely going on my quilting to-do list. Thanks everyone!