Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:33 PM

every so often I will use a "S.O.S." pad and rub the mat ....or a fine sand paper works also. Use the pad dry but be sure to wipe the map off really well, don't want any fragments from the S.O.S pad left for this would play havic on your cutter.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo

If you have the F&P red and cream seam ripper the round end pulls the stitches right out of the fabric after unripping. Just rub the end on the stitches. No need to pull them out one by one by hand. It's fast.
It is great. and it doesn't roll around if you put a little girls soft pony tail holder around it, or a rubber band.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ann31039
Originally Posted by BellaBoo

If you have the F&P red and cream seam ripper the round end pulls the stitches right out of the fabric after unripping. Just rub the end on the stitches. No need to pull them out one by one by hand. It's fast.
It is great. and it doesn't roll around if you put a little girls soft pony tail holder around it, or a rubber band.
Thanks for this tip, I never use it because I don't like chasing it...
Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 PM

I have a magnetic pin holder also. Bought it from a tool magazine my husband had. Originally for nut and bolt LOL I don't think I have actually bought anything I dont use.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:45 PM

You can use the magnetic pin cushions by Janome machines but I really don't know about the others.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:46 PM

I don't buy a lot of notions simply because I think they are a waste of money. I try to keep my stuff as simple as possible because I use it often. I have a plastic tower with 7 drawers on wheels I got at walmart and most of my notions are in that. Little plastic containers divide my threads and bobbins I have marked "hand quilting thread" and "machine quilting thread" and I keep those bobbins with the matchine threads. Other drawers hold rotary blades, scizzors, adhesive spray, starch, bla bla bla you get the idea. I would rather spend my money on fabric and batting instead of junk I don't need.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:48 PM

This is a Purple Thang!
http://www.littlefoot.net/index.php?...products_id=81[/quote]

Thank you - I love the description - among the listed things: "it makes its own uses" - - - I have since heard from a couple of people that said they are really neat! :D
Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:51 PM

I also cannot get the hang of the pounce.

My ultimate favorite is a cutter attached to a ruler that I got from walmart. It looks like a paper cutter but its for fabric. It keeps me going straight and accurate and if it broke I would immediately go out and buy another!

I'm pretty good about not buying gadgets. - Cynthia

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I was just thinking..another tool that doesn't work for me is the trash can..I was sitting here..looking around. The floor is covered with snippets of fabric and thread. LOL.
Yeah, did you ever notice when you put your hand out to drop a thread in the basket it jumps away so you miss it. I have a waste basket by every machine (4) and I still have stuff all over the floor. Cheap baskets, I guess.
especially if you have the fan on too. lol
Yeah, you get what you pay for! The really expensive ones jump up and grab that little thread out of your fingers...he, he, he
:lol: :lol: