Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
had to buy a new iron >

had to buy a new iron

had to buy a new iron

Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Marvlin
Where did you find your iron? Please let me have the name of your iron too. I am also looking for an iron with the "resting feet" because of my arthritis. I have purchased three different irons from Rowenta, always going up to a more expensive iron hoping it would be better. The first one worked for only about six months then started leaking all over my ironing board and leaving rust spots on my clothes. The second one lasted for about a year and started the same thing, but was not leaking it was pouring water out faster than I could put it in. My third Rowenta I gave way over $100.00 for and it worked perfect, you guessed it for about a year and then the leaking started. I have been looking for irons again but wanted the one with the resting feet because of my arthritis but I can tell you one thing it won't be a Rowenta. I do iron a lot, not just for quilting but I am using a Black & Decker I've had for years now and it works pretty good for me, just doesn't have enough steam. Please give me some help with the iron search...........................
JoAnn's....it's also online, and is on sale this week for veterans day.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:43 PM

I got my Rowenta at a garage sale for 5.00 and have no trouble with it. No auto shut off, no spitting..........had a Sunbeam auto shutoff and gave it away. Still have a plain chrome GE, no steam setting, from another garage sale for .50 and a B&D steam iron . What I would like to have is an Ironrite ironer ....the old type with a revolving arm that was so good on flatware.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 PM

I have the same Oliso. Really like it, especially the 'feet'!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by CGail
I'm still using the General Electric iron I got for a wedding present in 1971. I'll have a problem adjusting when I have to get a new one. - Cynthia
They sure don't make 'em like they used to.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 PM

I have an Oliso and I love it. I wouldn't sell it for anything.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Love my Oliso! Paid much for my Rowenta and of course it started leaking and went to crap right after the warranty was up. That really frustrated me.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 PM

An expensive Rowenta I bought started spitting after a while and would leave brown marks. It was also heavy and would wear you out. I finally bought a very cheap Black and Decker and it works just fine.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 PM

Well ladies, I just went to Walmart today and ended up buying the Shark Ultimate Professional-considering the price ($49.67) I just couldn't bring myself to fork out at JoAnn's for the Oliso on sale ($112.00). I spent WAY too much yesterday on JoAnn's on fabric! I am hoping I didn't make a mistake by not getting the Oliso, but for the money, I think the Shark will do fine. I got the extended warranty for $3.00. It has to be better than the cheap GE I bought my sons at WM when they got their first apartment 8 years ago (and which I am SURE they never used!). That is what I have been using since I returned to the U.S. in Feb. Now, I hope DH will still buy me my new machine for Xmas (I have left him enough hints!)
Old 11-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Dee

I like my Rowenta. Bought it for 49.99 at Nancys Notions. Works great. Have the stainless steel bottom, as the non stick ones always in time started to come off.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 PM

I also use a Black and Decker Classic iron.. I've had it a number of years and it's still going strong.. I hate, make that HATE, auto shut off.. My B&D doesn't have one..

To make sure I don't leave it on, I have it plugged into a power strip that also has the clip on light that spots my ironing surface plugged into it.. so when I leave the basement, I just make sure no lights are on.. and that way nothing is left on.. no lights, no iron, no machines. It works great for me.

FREE Quilting Newsletter