Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I tried the pedicure toe separators for my bobbins and like them just fine.

The marking pens that come with the different colored chalk that's about 1/8" thick. They're red and Hancocks had them out a couple of years ago. GARBAGE!!! They're so hard they move the fabric, so soft they break easily. Tried the one that looks like an automatic pencil and I like it much better. The "press down in the center and twirl this around" circle cutters are a waste too.
I agree about those marking mechanical pencils. the sales lady at my local quilt shop convinced me it was the best thing around but they break approx. every 2 in. and move the fabric. What a waste of money.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
The rotary blade sharpener mentioned above IS a waste.
I, too, have never gotten the chalk pounce to work right.....or at least, not work the way I want.

I love the bobbin winder --- I use it on the Longarm. That machines winds its bobbins but the needle goes up and down. This is BAD when you're in the middle of a quilt.

I LOVE the purple "thang"....it's been a BIG help.
I'm really sad because I lost my purple thang. I even had it on a ribbon around my neck. If I ever see another one I'll surely get it.

I like the chalk pouncer. I learned you need to do a combination of pounce and rub.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 PM

A good way to cut down having to store all of your quilt magazines is to copy (scan) the articles and directions on to your computer. You have WORD on your computer Scan your copy into it and it will store it alphabetically for you (I think). I haven't had time to try this out yet. Someone mentioned this a couple of weeks ago on this site and it sounds like a winner. Then I will have some shelves to put other things like my husbands books. He deserves a little room now and then.
Henri
Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 PM

If you make yourself practice with the Alto cutter, you will learn that it really does work.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 PM

I have one that I have had for several years. I got it out a few weeks ago and have been using it and love it. I don't use the quick guide because it is to flimsy, would like to get the upgrade for mine which is the quilt cut 2 but it will have to wait until finances are better if that should happen.lol I purchased mine because my gd wanted to learn to quilt but due to family tension that didn't happen so I put it away, finally decided I may as well use it.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 PM

To use my basting gun, I bought some of the grid stuff at Lowe's and put enough to cover my cutting table. I don't slide the grid around. I also switched to the micro gun.

Originally Posted by ajw
How about the Dritz basting gun?! Now that was a waste of money!! It is near impossible to keep the fabric layers taught while sliding the grid around underneath so that you can punch the gun through. And then the needle that inserts the little plastic tack through your fabric has such a lorge bore that it actually slices the fabric leaving little holes. I've tried using it twice and kicked myself both times after having to remove all of the little plastic tacks and wind up pin basting anyway. Uuuugh!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 PM

I have a Sidewinder.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:49 PM

[quote=
One of the best bobbin keepers I have was given to me. It is a 7-day pill keeper with straight sides, not curved. The one I have holds four to five bobbins in each day's compartment. Since it is translucent, it is possible to see thread color through it. One pill holder holds approximately 35 bobbins. I also found an opaque one at Mighty Dollar for you guessed it $1. They are handy for lots of small things as they snap shut.

Other than that I keep my thread in a Snap Ware Unit using a tip I picked up on line -- I secure the bobbin thread to the bobbin using a notebook reinforcement than use a golf tee through the hole in the bobbin and placed into the hole of the thread spool. This keeps the bobbin and thread together and I store extra bobbins in the pill keeper. I do this because all my sewing is done at my quilt guild meeing/UFO days.[/quote]

Aurora, would it be possible to see a picture of this bobbin/pill case you are talking about? I think that would be a great way to go for bobbins. Maybe others would like to see it too.
I also like your golf tee idea too but I store my thread on a thread holder that has the little dowels that come up through the spool of thread. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 PM

I bought the Clover bobbin holders...the ones that are green and yellow and stack..don't like them at all..have 3..one never stays on the little rubber stand part..they were expensive and definitely not worth it..
Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by needlehappy
Stick on dots that are suppose to stop your ruler moving when cutting. They don't stick very well and fall off easy which makes the ruler uneven. Then before you realise you've cut crooked.
I have had mine on for years and never lost one yet-my biggest problem is making sure the ruler is right side up!