Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
A pounce to stencil. I can't get it to work for me. I even bought a lot of the special stencils with it and I can not use those for other things. Some people love a pounce so maybe I am doing it wrong?

Well I am seeing people liking and using some stuff that others thought useless. Maybe time to sell some stuff?
I have a pounce and FINALLY found the way to use it that works pretty well......try this, mist the fabric "quilt" with a spray of water BEFORE pouncing, it grabs the chalk and holds on "just do a small amount at the time" about as much as you can manage to quilt in one sitting. If you pack up your quilt after doing some quilting it might wear off, but if you have it in a frame it should stay. I heard to spray cheap hair spray on after you pounce, no good.........Try the water mist before you HATE the pounce. It truley works for me, I also bought the special stencils, but the regular ones work also, good luck, let me know if this works for you. Once we learn how to use things properly we tend to love them.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:15 PM

In a class I took, the instructor said to rub the pounce over the template and not pat it on so the chalk would go onto the quilt instead of into the air.

A pounce to stencil. I can't get it to work for me. I even bought a lot of the special stencils with it and I can not use those for other things. Some people love a pounce so maybe I am doing it wrong?

Well I am seeing people liking and using some stuff that others thought useless. Maybe time to sell some stuff?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 PM

The suction cup ruler holders work really well on the edge of the bathtub (it has to be very clean) for those who have trouble getting out because of arthritis or after they've had an operation.

They also work on the wall of a (again, very clean) shower for those with balance or stability problems.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
I purchased a big metal T square for cutting strips and after cutting them I found out the marking measurments were off by 1/8 inch to much. Had to recut all the strips.
bummer
Old 11-12-2010, 04:37 PM

Good Reply.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:03 PM

thank you!
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Here is the rotary cutter that I have that works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3kdYDbj0aE

This phase of my quilting life I tend to buy the tools that will make the parts of quilting I find tedious more fun.
I bought the Acuquilt Go, and the Simplicity Bias Binding machine.

I had a lot of trouble with the Pounce until I learned to use it the right way, now it works just fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZvWVNJHHqs
Old 11-12-2010, 05:29 PM

lovely photo, now be patient, you never know you might give it a try someday, try it with scrap to fit, you may just like it, is good to make a scrap border for starters.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by AnnieF
The "grab it" magnetic pin holders work well, but I've broken 2 by knocking them off my quilting table...so I went to an auto repair shop and bought a magnetic bowl....it's metal....and doesn't break when I have an uncoordinated moment. I love and use the June Taylor strip ruler every time I make a quilt....I use it for strip cutting blocks and binding....it's 12 inches square and has got a slit every 1/4 inch.
Ditto for me with the June Tailor strip cutter. I love it to death.
I bought a magnetic bowl at Harbor Freight and also like it a lot. It's the small size and it's just right.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

Same here, still have everything put away. Does anyone have luck with the pounce???
Old 11-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bernie

I have a pounce and FINALLY found the way to use it that works pretty well......try this, mist the fabric "quilt" with a spray of water BEFORE pouncing, it grabs the chalk and holds on "just do a small amount at the time" about as much as you can manage to quilt in one sitting. If you pack up your quilt after doing some quilting it might wear off, but if you have it in a frame it should stay. I heard to spray cheap hair spray on after you pounce, no good.........Try the water mist before you HATE the pounce. It truley works for me, I also bought the special stencils, but the regular ones work also, good luck, let me know if this works for you. Once we learn how to use things properly we tend to love them.
Okay, willing to try, thanks
:-)