Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Bev

[quote/]I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!]quote/]

[quote/]If your seam ripper is a red and cream colored Fons & Porter--------I beg to differ. I can rip seams all day, and do sometimes when making my "pants" shopping bags. Yes, it rolls. Can't tell you how many times I've picked up the blasted thing. But I love it for the ease of use.[quote/]

[quote/]Something I did spend money on the other day was a thread nipper. Not sure what it's proper name is, but it's a great help with trimming thread while sewing. So much easier than even a small sissors.[quote/]

I have the same ergonomic seam ripper, but I don't quite know what makes it "ergonomic." However, I do like it's seam ripping ability. It works really well. The roundness I could do without. I'm always chasing it around too. Maybe someone should tell them.
I got a thread nipper for Christmas last year and I hated it. I guess I'm too accustomed to using my tiny Gingher scissors. I love them! 8-)
Old 11-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Bev

[quote/]I took my Sidewinder apart (couple of screws) and put in a piece of heavy iron I found in DH's shop. There is a lot of empty space inside it. It doesn't move anywhere or tip over. And it winds so much smoother. If something doesn't work like I want it to I try to find out why not and modify what it needs. [quote/]

Boy, I wish I'd heard this a long time ago. I got a Sidewinder when they first came out. I thought it would be so great to set up my grandkids to wind a whole bunch of bobbins for me every time they came to visit. Y'all know how kids love machine-type gadgets. It never, never worked right. Kept falling over and winding all crazy. I took it back and exchanged it, and the 2nd one was the same. I figured they were just no good. Now I'm thinking about trying again. Have you seen the newest one? It's supposed to be an improvement over the first one.
8-)
Old 11-12-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
This is so funny. I have that blue donut bobbin holder thing and do I use it? No, I don't even know where it is... I prewind bobbins and keep mine in small medicine bottles right next to the machine and they are just handy to me.
I use medicine bottles also,they work great.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by ginnyk
I have a bunch of different marking pencils and none of them work all that well if I really need to see the marks. I asked at a LQS and the man there really surprised me with his answer. He said that I would save a lot of money if I went to a craft store or Wally World and bought Crayola WASHABLE colored pens that children use in school. I have used them successfully for quite a while. Of course, TEST them FIRST on the fabric you are using. I have yet to see one that did not come out immediately with cold water. They are now my first choice.
I too, have a collection of markers that are useless to me for one reason or another. I would have been really scared to use these markers you mention. But it makes sense that kids can use them and Mom can wash them out with no problem. I know my grandkids use them a lot and I've never seen them with stained clothing on. I'll try one tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
The orangey things that you put on your ruler... It's a thin piece of orange something that sticks to your ruler. The idea is you put it where you want to cut - like on the 2.5" line, then you line your fabric up and it butts against the orange thing. It was kinda cool at first, but after 2 uses, it lost its sticky. Supposedly it works with static electricity... I dunno, but even the ones I haven't used don't work.
i love those things... i found if you stretch the plastic as you put it on, it will stay on forever.....i've had it on my midsize ruler since i started the omigosh or as dd calls it "my mother's on crack" quilt...
Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 PM

The white and blue marker pencils are waste of money they don't mark on fabric real well.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have a long list of things I wish I had not purchased, but my latest was the "bobbin tower" - what a joke!
I also bought an ergonomic seam ripper that's no better than my other and does nothing but roll off the table because it's round!
Many magazine subscriptions were a waste for me, especially the ones without a spine so I can't even find them in my bookshelf!
I'm sure you guys have others - share before I make my Christmas list!
(P.S. the notion I love the most is my magnetic pin holder!)
I agree about the magnetic pin holder. I still use the one my Mom got me when I was in high-school and into clothes making. She got herself an orange one and me a yellow one. She is still using hers as well! I don't think I could do without it. (BTW, I graduated from highschool in 1979!!).
79 was a good year!!! i just wish i was as smart now, as i thought i was then! lol
Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 PM

I can safely say I have through the whole thread(it has taken me since yesterday with the grand kids here), so I have a question to ask that no one asked. How well do the Martelli Mitre clips work as I have though of buying a set. I believe that I have been talked out of the pounce so I might try some type of powder in a knee high and see how that works.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:52 PM

So has anyone recommended the Acuquilt?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Matilda
Originally Posted by JudeWill
The side-winder was my most expensive notion purchase (so far) that I don't like. Does not wind tight. I was going to return it, but too much time had passed.

One of my handiest tools is a telescoping rod with a magnet on the end. Great for picking up dropped needles, pins & small tools.
I don't understand why buy a sidewinder when there is a bobbin winder on most machines? I have heard nothing but bad about them.

The telescoping rod with magnet was one of my best tools too.
i love my sidewinder... in fact, i don't think i have wound a bobbin on the sewing machine since i got it... isn't it funny how we all like & dislike so many of the same things