Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with arthritis? >

Quilting with arthritis?

Quilting with arthritis?

Old 11-12-2010, 11:25 PM

mzsooz, flax seed oil and Bragg oil have a lot of the same benefits.

I have never listed my autoimmune diseases. It might be scary. Lupus since 17, Rheumatoid Arthritis since 23, osteoarthritis, celiac disease, newest dermatitis herpeflora (sp), gout. Four different heart problems and Heaven knows what else. Two blown disks in my back, residual pain from a broken neck. Lupus has attacked various body parts. My ankles are fused as are the joints in the forefoot. Recurring shingles. Partially frozen shoulder. Bursitis in the iliosacral hip joint. I take very little medicine - I am of a mind that the side effects are worse than the disease. An anti inflammatory, heart meds and a lot of supplements. There are ways to get done most of what you want to do. Accommodations and ask for help when you need it. I do like my fingerless craft gloves for lots of things, plus I love my very warm baths. I have the paraffin warmer but haven't tried it. I have two four-legged exercise partners that depend on me to get them out. Furry medication.

Come here and vent, then get back to work.

Vent: I am having a long slow recovery from the last foot surgery and my house is looking rough. Okay, now I feel better and will slowly get started on it.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:54 AM

Thanks for this thread. I just recently (4 days ago) had extreme pain in my right shoulder. I will certainly look into all the recommendations you all list. Don't know what I'd do if I couldn't sew.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 AM

Hi buckeye78girl, it was good to hear from you, you are welcome for what little help I was, but if we all stick together and help each other get through our pains we will be ok and we can keep on quilting. You take care and GREAT BIG HUGS BACK TO YOU, hope you will have a great weekend and get some quilting done to. Keep in touch ok and let me know how you are doing. Love hearing from you. bye for now Nita
Old 11-13-2010, 06:53 AM

Hand sewing can be very painful and difficult...I try to use the machine for as much as possible. Pin baste is so much better than needle basting. I use a needle threader to thread my machine needle, just put it thru the back of the needle and draw the thread thru. Any "helps' are useful. I exercise my hand by gripping a soft ball several times a day for about 10 - 20 minutes. Arthritis is very uncomfortable, but it is not impossible. Stay active, keep on truckin'.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
Another thought Moonhoney, it may be akward at first but try to use the mouse with your left hand. I try to use both of my hands equally to take the strain off of my right hand. :D
I did the same and it helps!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 AM

AK. . .you're my kind of girl! Thank you!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:51 AM

This is such a BEAUTIFUL pic of BEAUTIFUL children! How CUTE!!!! The quilt is really, really nice too! Thanks for sharing!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 AM

moonhoney2,

You are among friends and fellow arthritis sufferers. I, too, got a diagnosis of osteoarthritis in my hand and shoulder about a year ago. It was a shock, and I believe that is where you are now.

Eventually, I realized that I am in this body for the long run --my parents are 85 and 90 and still going strong! -- so I just have to adapt. I have also taken up quilting recently and am learning how to adapt to what I can/cannot do as I go. For example, hand work is very difficult for me -- so fagedabutit, that's what sewing machines are for. I don't do any hand sewing, but nod wisely when people say that all bindings must be done by hand. Hand bindings are beautiful, but I no longer participate.

Also consider this, with osteoarthritis, some days are better than others. I can go for a week with no arthritis pain, so I quilt when I can and take a sabbatical when my hand is stiff.

I urge you to take your time to think about the situation. It may take some time for you to move on mentally to the "acceptance stage," but it will happen and you will realize you have much to be thankful for. Some of the quilters on this board can't quilt like they wish because of other responsibilities in their lives: raising kids, a full-time job, caregiving for family members, lack of work space. Arthritis.

Daily, I am reminded of my physical abilities and grateful for what I CAN do. The limitations of arthritis (and all other chronic diseases) are annoying; that's a fact. While you may see arthritis as a big fat steel door that has shut you in, just climb out the window and keep on going!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:13 AM

I tried the double sink hot/cold dip the other day. IT WORKED FOR ME! I've had no where near the stiffness after trying this! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:21 PM

any equptiment that is ergornomics sp? including my key board i tend to get don't have arthritis but have fibro and shogrens it sure helps