Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WHERE DID YOU TAKE QUILTING CLASSES / >

WHERE DID YOU TAKE QUILTING CLASSES /

WHERE DID YOU TAKE QUILTING CLASSES /

Old 11-13-2010, 04:41 PM

My advice, stop int on a class and see if you like it. some inst. are really good and some aren't . talk with them about your skill leval and they should be able to tell you where to get the classes you need even if it's not from them. good luck.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:28 PM
dls

At a variety of quilt shops in my area.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:06 PM

I quilted for many years before I took my first class. I just wanted to learn tips and meet other quilters. But most of the classes were when I was away from home. And most of the time I have never finished the project. Only one that I did finish using the technique I learned is the liberated log cabin that I learned from Gwen Marston at AQS in Knoxville last summer. If I could post a picture here I would. It is my favorite technique, and plan to make a few more using it.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:33 PM

I've taken several at local quilt shops and really enjoyed them. Once in a while, we have someone come to our quilt guild meeting to demonstrate something and I've enjoyed that also.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Banned

I think this is my 3rd post on this thread
Reading the most recent posts about learning from TV shows reminded me of making my first log cabin some time in the 80s when I still lived in NYC.
My son was away at Emerson College in Boston and I'd setup my sewing machine in his room, the TV with a VCR slot was in my bedroom.
I think it was an Eleanor Burns tape, or maybe Kay Woods.
Anyway, I'd watch a little of the tape, stop it, run to machine and do that step, then back to a little more of the tape .....
Eventually after much running back and forth the top was finished.
My friend, Marilyn Henrion, and I quilted it in white thread. Her stitches superb, mine quite large and irregular.
I love that quilt with its too wide logs and strange colour combinations + white thread on a dark quilt.
Had to retire it when the binding finally went a couple of years ago.
Someday it'll be the batt in a new double sized quilt or I'll put a new binding on it for a second life as a quilt.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 AM

Best Friend's Quilt Shop, Cincinnati, OH ... LOVE the classes and the instructors have all been really good! I've met some great folks there ... and one lady has turned into a great blessing for me ... (PoseyBell on here).
Old 11-14-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I am for the most part self-taught. I did take two different classes on PP, the first one had me cut out all of the pieces and add on the 1/4 in seam, (what a pain in the pitutte that was, the second was so much better. George Sciliano had this neat little ruler with the swing edge....I fell in love with PP. Now that I have one of Carol Doaks' book, I am anxious to get started on those! I found Quilterscache.com, and have been using many of those patterns. And then I found THIS site, and have been so fortunate to have the generosity of the talent quilters here!
If you are referring to the dancing panda, pm Amma and she will guide you how to do it. needle and thread, I can whip up wonders, computer??? aaaggghhhh.
Where do you get your cute little things to add to your message? I see where the smiles come from but nothing else.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:01 PM

My grandmother taught me how to quilt. When her sisters tried and couldn't get their daughters and granddaughters interested,they joined in and taught me what they knew. After they passed on,I learned from quilting books and t.v. shows,but I'll always remember the front porch lessons with my grandmother and grand-aunts(?) the most. They taught me so much more than quilting.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:08 PM

Signed up for a class many years ago for a appliqued garden quilt. Stopped attending because we moved... Would sign up for one again, but the shops that I can drive to don't offer them. (there Are shops that offer them, but I can't drive to those. lol...)
Old 11-18-2010, 04:23 PM

I am teaching myself thru this board and books, however, if I run into trouble my DH's family have been quilting for ages so I know they are only a whistle away for assistance.