Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bad news and good news >

bad news and good news

bad news and good news

Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 AM

I believe I have progressed far beyond a collector. I believe the term is "hoarder"! I don't want to seek help for this disorder. I love it!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 AM

Yes, it was on the news this morning that the price of cotton has gone up 400%. I think a lot of us are now using our stash and thinking twice about buying more fabric if we don' have a real need for it. But what is it doing to our wonderful Quilt Stores whne we cut back on our fabric purchases!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:01 AM

I have fabric that will last several lifetimes and then some. When my customers see the "stash" they think they can buy some of mine. I am very protective explaining the GREAT effort it has taken to find and purchase all these fabrics Of course each fabric was purchased with idea in mind and if I were to sell any then I just wouldn't be able to make the quilt I had in mind to begin with.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:50 AM

Just found out from a friend at Joann's that some of the quilter cottons are going up $1/yd.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 AM

My name is Helen and I am a fabriholic. Sadly, I do not want to be cured. I would have to live 100 sewing years to use up what I have now and I spent two days at the Houston Quilt Show shopping. I'm trying to look ashamed, but I have a big grin on my face. I have told my DH that if I go first, I am really sorry (again, big grin on my face). 8-) :lol: 8-)
Old 11-15-2010, 11:16 AM

I still refer to myself as a "fabric snob."
I'm a "collector" of everything else!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Yeah, I heard on CNN yesterday that there is a cotton shortage around the world so we can expect cotton to as much as double in price! That means instead of 42-45" wide, we will probably get 36" wide fabric in the near future. This also means jeans will go up as well. So ladies, get your stash while you can!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:40 PM

My stash of fabrics has been about depleted after sorting and getting rid of. I decided to only buy as I have use for it. Retired :thumbup: .
Saturday we hit a yard sale. Got a comforter quilt bag over half full of fabric. I was after the kid stuff for baby quilts for charity.
Ended up with 12 yards of apple fabric in different lengths. Over six yards of coordinating daisy fabrics and fourteen yards of various Walt Disney fabrics. I made out like a bandit. I only gave her five dollars for the stash.
I almost felt guilty buying it :roll: but boy am I going to have fun digging into it soon.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 PM

I could probably sew from now until the year 2050 and not run out of fabric. But it's so much FUN to buy! LOL.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
Originally Posted by QKO
Fabric prices at the wholesale level have just taken another jump, most have gone up at least .25/yd for new stuff being ordered now. That's an increase just in 2010 of .65 to 1.00 dollar/yd. And I fear it isn't going to stop for awhile... :-( :-(
Yes, the LQS owner said going up at least 35 cents a yard
..would it make you ladies feel a weeny bit better to know that in australian quilt shops we pay between $20 and $28 a yard for american patchwork fabric?..wonder what 35c will add to that?..lol

as for pre cuts, $65 for a jelly roll or layer cake, $45 for a honey bun and $18 for a charm pack..

our dollar has been at parity, or close to, the US dollar for some time but i only know of one patchwork shop who has dropped the price per yard on new lines..

including airmail postage, buying from the states is a wayyyy cheaper option, AND i can choose from a complete range instead of the broken collections we have to choose from here..

and now that i have admitted to the world how much it costs to be a patchworker in the land of oz, and considering my burgeoning stash that takes up a whole room, is it any surprise i'm divorced..something had to give!!.. :P