Keuring Coffeemakers

Old 11-14-2010, 04:26 PM

My mom has one and loves it. You can get whatever you want for coffee (and cocoa, and tea) in terms of flavors or caf or decaf, and it's always fresh. It does get expensive to keep buying the pods, though.
I like using it when I visit her. However, my personal issue is that it is not "green". There is a good deal of waste every time you brew a cup of coffee, and I don't think the pods are recyclable. Also, the pods are packaged in a larger box (which is recyclable, being cardboard) but again, to me, lots of waste. We compost, and so we are able to compost our coffee filter and the coffee grounds. For me, the Keurig wouldn't be an option since we try to make "green" choices where possible.
So, if your recipient is of a similar mindset, h/she might not enjoy that part of it.
Not trying to be a "downer" - but just wanted to mention it.:-)
Old 11-14-2010, 05:47 PM

love mine, have the K-cop filter, buy the k-cups on sale and can keep all kinds, sometimes I like it strong, or flavored, I'm the only one that drinks coffee and I want it fresh. I have the big one. bought the small one for my mother the other day, she had been wanting it every since I got mine.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 AM

I have a Keurig and love it. I am now a widow, so no longer want to make a pot full of coffee. If it is sitting it is a temptation for me to drink it and with acid reflux, not a good idea. You can get the filter and use your own regular coffee and that works great also. Lots of good flavors and you always have a fresh cup.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Debka
My mom has one and loves it. You can get whatever you want for coffee (and cocoa, and tea) in terms of flavors or caf or decaf, and it's always fresh. It does get expensive to keep buying the pods, though.
I like using it when I visit her. However, my personal issue is that it is not "green". There is a good deal of waste every time you brew a cup of coffee, and I don't think the pods are recyclable. Also, the pods are packaged in a larger box (which is recyclable, being cardboard) but again, to me, lots of waste. We compost, and so we are able to compost our coffee filter and the coffee grounds. For me, the Keurig wouldn't be an option since we try to make "green" choices where possible.
So, if your recipient is of a similar mindset, h/she might not enjoy that part of it.
Not trying to be a "downer" - but just wanted to mention it.:-)
You CAN recycle the cups. Just dump the grounds out into a can or something, rinse out the cup and put in recycle bin. I've taken the coffee out and put in my garden, then tossed the cups in the box for recycle. Might be a few extra steps, but it CAN be done.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:37 PM

I got one for my DDIL for Christmas Saturday at Kohls. Used my 30% off coupon. She has been wanting it for a while, DS does not dtink coffee so she only wants one cup at a time. She will be so surprised.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:56 PM

If they made a European version I'd be first in the queue to get my hands on it! Only that I've been warned it doesn't work well on a transformer is why I haven't imported an American one.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:15 PM

My husband and I have one and use it all the time. It's so easy and you can have whatever flavor or type of coffee you want. We have the Premium model, which has settings for different sizes of coffee cups / mugs and a setting for iced tea -- although we haven't used the iced tea feature. I recommend getting a Keurig -- have had no problems with it at all.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:35 AM

Would love to have one.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:26 AM

We have one at work and it works pretty good! You can get so many different flavors of coffee, hot choc, and tea!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:15 AM

WE LOVE OURS!!! Last year when we went to Disney World and needed to leave space in our suitcase to bring it along. I'm usually a tea drinker and my husband likes coffee. With the Keurig we can both have what we want - and right now. The variety of coffees and teas available mean guests can have flavored or speciality flavors without making a whole pot.

FREE Quilting Newsletter