Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I Add Pictures to a memory quilt >

How do I Add Pictures to a memory quilt

How do I Add Pictures to a memory quilt

Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 PM

I have a HP Photosmart inkjet printer that is also a copier and scanner and want to know what supplies to I have to use to print the pictures. I have never done it before. Is it easier to have a quilt shop do it for you?
sending a picture of the layout of the quilt that I attached to my felt wall, as it is only preliminary and will add the pictures somewhere eventually. Deborah's clothing is all in the quilt as i cut it up into squares like a tee shirt quilt. Trying also to the proper color for the sashing...I thought a pretty gold!!
so would appreciate some advice on adding the pictures and how to print them.

memory quilt layout
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126862[/ATTACH]

memory squares layout on felt wall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126863[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-126857.jpe
Views:	1198
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	126862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-126858.jpe
Views:	796
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	126863  
Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM

They have 8 1/2" x 11" fabric sheets that you can run through your ink jet and print the picture right on the fabric. They are available at Jo-Anns. Or, you can use iron on transfer sheets available at any office supply store. If you use the iron on transfer, make sure you print the reverse image so it's oriented the right way when you put it on your fabric.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM

You can purchase: printed treasures fabric photo paper at joanns, it's not cheap and never on sale so get a coupon. Then you just print your photo onto the fabric paper, it goes in your printer. Peel backing off. Then sew the fabric. Works great. They do sell cheaper products but this is a better product and no rinsing and waiting to dry. I'm sure you will have fun, I always like adding photos.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

yrs ago i took fabric squares and photos to a copy shop. they had the large long ironing machine and did them onto the fabric for me. but i hadn't prepared my fabric and the photos are sort of like ones on t-shirts.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 PM

I don't know much about quilting but do know about photo quilts. We make lots of them. Go the following website http://newmilfordphoto.com/?sef_rewrite=1 and find the trasfer paper that's right for your project. You print from your regular printer and then take it to someone who has a heat press like them make t-shirts with. They will probably charge you about $3 do it, but it's worth it. It should last through 500 washings if you use good material and these transfers. Good luck. They are beautiful and great treasures.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:51 PM

thanks. How does it hold up as far as washing over a period of time, Not like you would wash a quilt as often as normally would with everyday clothes?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:34 PM

If you use the stuff that has to be heat transferred it is supposed to go through 500 washings without fading. I don't think it will, but don't know yet. If you have a memory quilt you probably aren't using it on the bed and just put it out for show so you won't be washing it very often. I think it will last a long time that way.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM

I will say the HP does not like the fabric paper I wasted a whole package because the intake would not catch the paper correctly. I only use the paper kind they work pretty good I also have a heat press machine for the transfer of the photos.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM

I just finshed a memory quilt for my mother's 80th birthday using Adobe Photo Shop. I was able to make collage blocks and could fill in a background color to match my material. I then printed on material through my printer
Old 11-15-2010, 04:25 PM

I use freezer paper, ironed on to muslin, then cut to 8 1/2 x 11, it copies straight from my computer to HP printer to fabric. I've also used the store bought. I have no idea how many washes, but I don't think I'd wash to often.