Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
donating quilts? >

donating quilts?

donating quilts?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM

We quilt for the fire, police, sheriff and emts...a lot of time the children from fires, domestic abuse don't out with much at all.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 PM

You have had a lot of great feedback with this message thread – I would like to add my favorite to the suggestions. Any group that receives your quilts will be thrilled, I’m sure.

I am a member of the Sunshine Quilter's Online Guild (a yahoo group). We make quilts for kids around the world. We work through two programs: Wrap a Smile and Wrap Them in Love. Quilts go to kids undergoing cleft palate surgery and to children in orphanages worldwide.

Here is a link that describes Wrap-a-Smile:
http://www.wellsrotary.org/Wrap-A-Smile.cfm

And here is a link that describes Wrap Them in Love:
http://www.wraptheminlove.org/

You do not have to be a member of Sunshine to donate quilts to these organizations, I just like the group a lot.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by diannemc
How do you decide where to donate? I would like to do some children quilts but don't know how or where??
Check out quilts for kids on line. They send you the whole kit and kaboodle and ask you pay for shipping it back to them as your monetary donation. You're asked to complete the quilt in a certain number of weeks. Let me know if you look them up and it works for you.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 PM

I go through Project Linus or the local Children's hospital. I have also donated them to kids entering foster care (Pillowcases are great for them too). One year a group of us donated to a family that had been burned out of their house in November. Everyone got a new quilt.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
If you want to donate baby quilts ask the area hospital. I don't know what its like for other places, but ours gives a small gift basket to new moms with coupons and baby stuff that the mom really needs.

Groups that help women going through domestic violence defiantly could use them. I went to one of their shelters and a few of the women there had small children.
I was completing a lap quilt to be donated and I felt my grandsons (6 and 8) should know what I was doing. The younger one had been in the hospital a few weeks earlier. I said "Wouldn't you have loved if someone made a special quilt for you to hold and have?" He , of course, said yes. I wasn't sure if the older boy had really been listening but a few minutes later he came over to me, reached in his jeans pocket and took out all of his change. "I only have 37 cents Grandma, but do you think this will help the children too?"
My heart flooded with love for this generous offer. "It will help tremendously. I am very proud of you."
When the lady came for the quilts my group had made, I told her what my grandson had done. She said she would write him a note thanking him for his thoughtful generosity. This is what we hope our children will become. Givers. Caring, generous givers. I couldn't be more proud.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Check out Project Linus at http://www.projectlinus.org/
It an awesome non profit organization to donate quilts for babies and children through their teens.
Debi
Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Phyl
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
If you want to donate baby quilts ask the area hospital. I don't know what its like for other places, but ours gives a small gift basket to new moms with coupons and baby stuff that the mom really needs.

Groups that help women going through domestic violence defiantly could use them. I went to one of their shelters and a few of the women there had small children.
I was completing a lap quilt to be donated and I felt my grandsons (6 and 8) should know what I was doing. The younger one had been in the hospital a few weeks earlier. I said "Wouldn't you have loved if someone made a special quilt for you to hold and have?" He , of course, said yes. I wasn't sure if the older boy had really been listening but a few minutes later he came over to me, reached in his jeans pocket and took out all of his change. "I only have 37 cents Grandma, but do you think this will help the children too?"
My heart flooded with love for this generous offer. "It will help tremendously. I am very proud of you."
When the lady came for the quilts my group had made, I told her what my grandson had done. She said she would write him a note thanking him for his thoughtful generosity. This is what we hope our children will become. Givers. Caring, generous givers. I couldn't be more proud.
Your grandson is a wonderful and thoughtful child. In Judiaism we have an actual commandment for Tzedaka ( pronunced Sedakah) which commands you to give, no matter how little you have. It goes toward what we refer to as Tikkum Olam ( repairing the world) Your grandson has made far more progress in Tikkum Olam than many adults:)
Old 11-15-2010, 04:13 PM

What great ideas all around ! Our ladies group at church adopted 3 needy families for Christmas and Thanksgiving. We are not only supplying meals, but we are making quilts and fleece blankets as gifts. ( Our church is relatively small, but we can sure get the Lords' work done! I have made some things for the American Cancer Society as well. There are alot of places out there that can use our help and I am so glad I logged on, because these are great ideas!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:28 PM

I do not like to do actual quilting, so I make quilt tops and donate them along with matching backings to Project Linus. There are several ladies in the area who love to quilt but not make the tops. A marriage made in heaven -- they appreciate me and I appreciate them. I donate roughly 30-40 quilt tops almost every year. I keep them simple -- strips, blocks, etc. but try to keep interesting color combinations. I make different sizes. If you get on the internet (Project Linus), there is a list of suggested sizes. I like to make the larger ones which go to pre-teen/teen because people tend to make more of the smaller ones and the program often runs short on those for older kids. It is truly a blessing to be able to help ease someone else's pain.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:00 PM

I made 35 charity quilts last year for Christmas, I sent two to the troops through a local company and the rest I donated to Shriners, my neighbor donates time there, Shrines in turn donated some of my quilts to another facility with terminally ill children....I got my patterns from Project Linus.